Telkom Mobile LTE for home and office: 10GB, 20GB, 50GB products explained

MrG

Executive Member
I thought that this was going to be cheaper than ADSL.
I wouldn't have actually expected what you're saying given that it's LTE. New technology with high speed has generally always had a premium price tag of some sorts attached to it. Where did Telkom comment that this will be cheaper than ADSL?

Stochos

Expert Member
It is cheaper than a comparable ADSL product. Very impressive pricing
Nonsense, you must work for the monopolist, marketing manipulating, bully that is Telkom.

Cell-C's 'whoosh' in 2010 was cheaper and faster than most ADSL products at the time.

Telkom has the frequencies, unlike MTN/Vodacom/Cell-C to launch a mass-market LTE; but they now want to extort their customers as their competitors are don't have the frequencies (yet) to launch their own LTE.

jikajoe1

though still expensive but its a great start, . .competition lets hear from you.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Why would someone who is satisfied with 50Gb cap feel the need for LTE speeds?

koeks525

Expert Member
Not suprised to see LTE packages being so expensive. I hope the pricing does come down overtime. Guess I will stick to using ADSL and 3G a bit longer...

eltherza

Expert Member
Did everyone miss the part this is home business lte and not targeted to home usage or big business. Home business that use it for business will rarely go over that kind of data (unless its IT business).

Id actually like a smaller cheaper package as backup. R100 for a 3 GB would be great for those days dsl has issues or i need that faster upload speed.

Jab

Expert Member
Telkom send me these prices:

10Gig:
24 Months: R649 p/m + R1,570 Once off
36 Months: R499 p/m

20Gig:
24 Months: R749 p/m + R1,570 Once off
36 Months: R699 p/m

50Gig:
24 Months: R1,499 p/m + R1,570 Once off
36 Months: R1,299 p/m

Includes the B593

Roadrunner

Expert Member
Doesn't compare too bad with what is available overseas at the moment.

In the UK you will pay R371/month for 8GB on a sim-only deal:

http://shop.ee.co.uk/priceplans/pay-monthly/4gee-broadband-sim-only/

Don't think LTE is aimed at high-volume data users.

You can understand that, because you can just imagine what sorts of damage users will do at those increased speeds, if they currently download 2TB/month on a 10Mb/s ADSL line.

ebendl

Expert Member
Very disappointing prices. And in the UK you will NEVER buy LTE for a "fixed home" service.

system32

Expert Member
I wouldn't have actually expected what you're saying given that it's LTE. New technology with high speed has generally always had a premium price tag of some sorts attached to it. Where did Telkom comment that this will be cheaper than ADSL?
Only New in ZA.
Been out overseas for 2-3 years.
Eg Verizon launched in Dec 2010

siraman

Expert Member
You can understand that, because you can just imagine what sorts of damage users will do at those increased speeds, if they currently download 2TB/month on a 10Mb/s ADSL line.
Is it a bad thing to do 2TB/ month? If so, how is it determined? *Sigh* to each his own,then.

sjm

Is it a bad thing to do 2TB/ month? If so, how is it determined? *Sigh* to each his own,then.
On a fixed line, not a bad thing. On a (shared, limited spectrum) wireless product, likely to negatively impact on other customers.

BGE

Expert Member
Seriously 10GB/m for R199 is working perfectly for me. As it stands now I get good enough speeds with my 7.2mbps modem, faster than our office 10mbps ADSL!