Telkom Mobile Speed, Disconnections & Coverage Problems – click here first!

mr_norris

Expert Member
Hi everyone

I'm quite puzzled. Telkom uncapped LTE for my parents has turned out to be a bit of a flop. I get really abnormal speeds by them. My first guess is just really bad congestion.

Fast result:

Screenshot_20200112-173441.png
I don't understand how the upload speed is so high. Upload and download speed should be reversed.

I am using a second hand b315 router. I didn't have problems like this with speed at home. It's just at my parents.

I fiddled around with the settings. At the moment it's set to 1800Mhz, 4g only. The router UI says it has full signal.

Screenshot_20200112-173848~2.png

All the other settings give rather dismal results, comparable to a very unstable 384kbps ADSL line.

I'm guessing I should log a fault with Telkom?

11Snowman11

So I put in the Telkom sim for the 6 pm to 11 pm stint and as expected we are back to our normal speed (its been 12 days so I guess we can call it normal by now). So somewhere in Pta North a tower is not working as it should. Because with Rain 4G we are getting around 22mbps.

ZimmY

So I put in the Telkom sim for the 6 pm to 11 pm stint and as expected we are back to our normal speed (its been 12 days so I guess we can call it normal by now). So somewhere in Pta North a tower is not working as it should. Because with Rain 4G we are getting around 22mbps.

i was going to ask as well if something is going on with telkom i stay in montana and noticed lately that i would get my 10mb on the uncapped package my ping went from an average of 18ms to 36ms i checked the poynting external and the b535 also shows my network signal lower than usual on telkom that being said my rain still runs as per normal so something must be going on?

11Snowman11

So this is getting frustrated with Telkom and Mweb. The Mweb tickets was just closed and never received any feedback. Telkom keeps saying I need to reset the router or manually connect to the network. All of this was tried and failed. Maybe it is time to get ISPA involved.

internaut

fkn same here

EDIT: SAT3 and WACS international cable system "broken" :mad:

Last edited:

TheTorn

Whole day, telkom just says reboot router, yet i can clearly see via Traceroute the problem is not my router..... usual Telkom BS

someone just dug up pavements last month for Fibre in my area..... one day when I'm big ill be telkom freeeeeeee

silkman

Expert Member
I am clueles on VPN and tech stuff. I've rebooted my router but speed still slow. What else can I do?

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Yeah I can't play Starcraft 2, too much lag spikes. I see there's not much we can do about it, undersea cables will try to be repaired this weekend

cavedog

Honorary Master
Yup seeing packet loss as well

View attachment 768132

is the problem. That is Telkom Transit provider/SAIX/Openserve capacity on EASSY. You will see that IP on any ISP that uses Telkom for transit and when accessing ANY international except Oceanic traffic it seems.

Telkom
Axxess
Afrihost
Webafrica

All of the them be it fibre, LTE, ADSL.

The issue is with congestion sadly not an actual issue with the cable. Telkom does not have enough capacity on that link and by the looks of thing they can't get capacity that is why the issue is on going.

Caliph

Device: B315s-936
Band: 1800MHz
RSRP: -83dBm
SINR: -1dB