Telkom Mobile Speed, Disconnections & Coverage Problems – click here first!

Hummercellc

Expert Member
Same here, I have Telkom LTE down in PE for remote access to a network, and it is down.
Same for Stellenbosch, also down.
KZN up though.

Nithan15

Expert Member
Telkom Mobile is slower than a herd of tortoises stampeding through peanut butter in the sandton area this morning.

Keanon01

I've signed up for the 70 + 50gb LTE package via Afrihost but since receiving it have had unstable connections and extremely slow speeds. I'm at my wits end with this now. I receive a full 5 bars of signal, occasionally 4, with no better results, please help

Hummercellc

Expert Member
Anyone having random DNS issues?
Been ongoing for weeks.
Seems the DNS cluster completely goes offline for hours on end, resulting in no connection.
Switching to Google DNS fixes the issue.

Last edited:

Saajid

Expert Member
Anyone else experiencing issues with Telkom Mobile uncapped LTE packages the last 2-3 days?

It started Wednesday late afternoon, and has progressively gotten worse. This is affecting 3 of my LTE routers.

Downdetector has also shown a huge spike in problems around the country. Yet there is nothing reported anywhere in the MyBB forums, or even as a MyBB news article.

Is it just me? Or is the internet so broken that people don't even have connectivity so that they can complain?

mauzilla

We have 2 uncapped packages at 2 different sites which over the last week have had intermitted disconnects on the router (red light). When restarting the router (unplugging power) it comes back up. Over the weekend we chatted to someone else (also uncapped) who have had the exact same issue. They stay about 30km from us so unlikely a single tower. Anyone else having the same issue?

Ernest Himself

We have 2 uncapped packages at 2 different sites which over the last week have had intermitted disconnects on the router (red light). When restarting the router (unplugging power) it comes back up. Over the weekend we chatted to someone else (also uncapped) who have had the exact same issue. They stay about 30km from us so unlikely a single tower. Anyone else having the same issue?
Since 1 October, my Telkom LTE simcard stopped working in the mornings from about 9am. When I log onto the router, it shows 100% 4G signal, and Internet, But I get no internet connection from the router.

A hard reset is the only thing that gets the internet flowing again.

Multiple other users are also reporting the same on Telkom's Twitter feed.

Telkom Response:

Hi, please be advised that we are expanding our networks and we hope to service all areas with poor Telkom coverage soon, if you are experiencing network issues please roam to our partner Vodacom while our technical team are attending on this matter.

CrystalMint3

According to: https://www.iol.co.za/business-report/technology/telkom-launches-new-mobile-data-plans-links-up-with-vodacom-for-roaming-33878373

“The main difference between the new Mobile Data plans and the existing SmartBroadband Wireless plans is that the Mobile Data plans allow for data usage on both the Telkom and Roaming partner network, whereas the SmartBroadband Wireless (LTE) plans only allow for data usage on the Telkom mobile network."

I'm on a Smartbroadband LTE contract and experiencing really slow internet connection like other customers. I discovered that I still have to dig through the new telkom mobile data before I get to use the smartbroadband data.
Also, when I access my Huawei router using the 192....IP address, I notice that the network connected display shows "Telkom" unlike the "TelkomSA" which I noticed in the past.

As you all will see in these pictures:

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

I am currently downloading content so that I can finish the Telkom Data in order to get to the Smartbroadband Data. Hopefully there will be a significant change in the internet speed after that.

ronnie_94

Anyone else that uses Twitter having a issue where images load super slow and stay blank?

r7ecko

Telkom LTE has gone to s#@t. It was one of the most reliable mobile networks and now it's so slow and laggy! In one day the network went from good to complete s#$t! VoIP getting blocked. International latency gone thru the roof. Disconnection. At the moment I see no difference in 3G and 4G.

Keanon01

Telkom dropping constantly in Pietermaritzburg, router goes from cyan to red randomly, extremely slow speeds and intermittent connection, any ideas people?

cavedog

Honorary Master
No wonder LTE is slow in certain areas. Look at all these 8ta aka Telkom LTE users on torrents :laugh:

ProAsm

Expert Member
Hell, what were you downloading that's so popular in SA ?
The most I ever see is 2 or 3 and I do a lot of torrents.