Telkom pledges R15 million to fight coronavirus

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
Telkom pledges R15 million to fight coronavirus

Telkom has pledged R15 million to help South Africa’s healthcare sector fight the COVID-19 coronavirus.

Telkom CEO Sipho Maseko said the funds will be used to “support healthcare workers who are at the frontline of the battle against the spread of COVID-19, particularly in South Africa’s most vulnerable communities”.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Telkom said corporations and members of the public can donate money to the cause by dialing the following premium-rated short codes:
Sorry Telkom, no copper no telephone, you will have to dial those numbers yourself.

Reactions: XTM

j4ck455

Executive Member
Really? Is that all you have to add?
Ok maybe I should have posted what I was thinking, which is: what will Telkom's revenue be from calls made to those premium rated numbers (that does not get passed on to combat COVID-19)?

If Telkom really wanted to do something significant, Telkom could donate hundreds of cellphones and a whole lot of completely free airtime and data to the NICD who could then decide how to distribute those phones, for example to public hospitals / clinics / healthcare workers on the front lines where they are going to be needed most (with MTN roaming enabled by default).

Gazg

Struggling but still donates R15 mil...............hmmmm I haven't seen the other 2 greedy arses doing anything similar.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Struggling but still donates R15 mil...............hmmmm I haven't seen the other 2 greedy arses doing anything similar.
Well Shameel is too busy sending email spam every day, not sure what the MTN CEO is doing, eventually they will be shameeld into donating something.

Maybe all the networks can donate cellphones, airtime, data, zero-rate specific healthcare numbers :whistling:

And here's one just for Telkom: stop getting your technicians to rip out copper thereby cutting people off that still use analogue phones (like the elderly and those that don't have any cellular reception), and at least hit pause on cutting off ADSL customers whilst trying to push LTE down their throats with numerous spam calls.

Last edited:

defcomk

Well Shameel is too busy sending email spam every day, not sure what the MTN CEO is doing, eventually they will be shameeld into donating something.

Maybe all the networks can donate cellphones, airtime, data, zero-rate specific healthcare numbers :whistling:

And here's one just for Telkom: stop getting your technicians to rip out copper thereby cutting people off that still use analogue phones (like the elderly and those that don't have any cellular reception), and at least hit pause on cutting off ADSL customers whilst trying to push LTE down their throats with numerous spam calls.
The best mtn can do is Change Carrier name to MTNSA-TAKE CARE MZANSI:sneaky:

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
They all should be reducing rates or providing free bandwidth to enable as many people as possible to work from home.

We Love Bass

Ok maybe I should have posted what I was thinking, which is: what will Telkom's revenue be from calls made to those premium rated numbers (that does not get passed on to combat COVID-19)?

If Telkom really wanted to do something significant, Telkom could donate hundreds of cellphones and a whole lot of completely free airtime and data to the NICD who could then decide how to distribute those phones, for example to public hospitals / clinics / healthcare workers on the front lines where they are going to be needed most (with MTN roaming enabled by default).
How many cellphones have you donated?

j4ck455

Executive Member
How many cellphones have you donated?
I'm not an importer of cellphones, the telcos are.

I'm also not finished using my several years old cellphone (singular).

Donate your own cellphone(s) if you feel the telcos cannot afford it.

biena

Executive Member
Got a SMS this morning from them asking to donate ... It would seem that they promised other peoples money and will probably claim the donations as their own against tax. Keep it firmly in mind these business are in it for themselves and don't care a hoot about you or me.

Stewie

What an absolute waste.

How about they pledge to create a working telecommunications system in South Africa instead?

j4ck455

Executive Member
Huawei and other Chinese companies should be doing something significant.