Telkom price changes - ADSL vs Uncapped Fibre

justplain

Expert Member
hardly cheap. take the line rental price out out ADSL (I know you cant..) and then it would be cheaper than fibre.

Twister42

And WebAfrica now offers 200mb up and down uncappapped unthrottled no fup for R999 on Frogfoot.
Thats 5 times faster on download and 10 or more on upload than what you pay R300 more for on Telkom.
I wonder why Telkom are struggling.

PUP Backup

You can see.. ADSL.. no competition, price increase. Fibre.. competition... price decrease.

FU Telkom!

And that kids, is the reason I don't support Telkom (except for damn ADSL).
Indeed!
You would have thought Telkom would eek out the revenue form the infrastructure they have (land lines) but no!
All we see is Telkom saying they are phasing out ADSL (deliberately?) and are now installing fibre..
What they could be doing is reducing the price of ADSL below that of fibre (and providing a data only option as well). Then they might find a bunch of new customers..

deesef

hardly cheap. take the line rental price out out ADSL (I know you cant..) and then it would be cheaper than fibre.
I've always been confused by this line of thought. The bulk of the cost for "line rental" is for the physical copper wire from your house to the exchange. ADSL cannot work wirelessly, else it would be called LTE.

Genisys

Executive Member
You can see.. ADSL.. no competition, price increase. Fibre.. competition... price decrease.

FU Telkom!

And that kids, is the reason I don't support Telkom (except for damn ADSL).
Not everyone has access to other internet access mediums, that is why we stick with Telkom

j4ck455

Executive Member
The higher DSL prices may be a way to push these subscribers to fibre in areas where it is available.
That much is obvious, however increasing DSL pricing will also push a lot of its DSL customers away from Telkom and onto competing FTTH networks where available.

A strategy like that would be more palatable if Telkom intelligently determined which DSL customers already have access to OpenServe FTTH in their area, and instead offer incentives to those customers if they migrate from DSL to FTTH.

PUP Backup

I've always been confused by this line of thought. The bulk of the cost for "line rental" is for the physical copper wire from your house to the exchange. ADSL cannot work wirelessly, else it would be called LTE.
We don't know where the costs are. Perhaps they go to paying fat bonuses for the bosses?
The lines have been installed 50 years ago and I doubt if they are stolen much for the scrap copper (since the wires are the thinnest there are)
So the costs of the lines have been amortised by now according to my reckoning..

deesef

We don't know where the costs are. Perhaps they go to paying fat bonuses for the bosses?
The lines have been installed 50 years ago and I doubt if they are stolen much for the scrap copper (since the wires are the thinnest there are)
So the costs of the lines have been amortised by now according to my reckoning..
Maintenance cost is astronomical on this 50-year old copper. It also escalates year-on-year as it ages. That is why there is (eventually) a drive to replace copper with fibre or wireless.

Telkom made a big stuff up when they started with their"next generation network" about 10 years ago, as they based connectivity on VDSL over copper, even though they knew that copper was already end of life and other countries were already starting to deploy fibre.

The only people who scored big-time were the bosses at Huawei (and the kick-back few in South Africa), because Huawei got the big contracts for the VDSL network that never paid for itself and for the fibre network.

deesef

A strategy like that would be more palatable if Telkom intelligently determined which DSL customers already have access to OpenServe FTTH in their area, and instead offer incentives to those customers if they migrate from DSL to FTTH.
They do. In my suburb, they engaged with the customers in the area with pop-up tents on the pavements and with door to door visits, once the fiber was live

Pixie-Everest24

Hehehehehe standing in the corner looking in roaming partners changed, price increase what's next I'm just waiting for data to increase .Hellkom doing it's thing.

Shadowchaser1

Here by us we are being held hostage by Telkom. Only 1 suburb have Fibre. This was done 2 years ago. Since then nothing. A friend was told to move to the suburb if he wants fibre. ADSL is a cash cow for Telkom.

j4ck455

Executive Member
They do. In my suburb, they engaged with the customers in the area with pop-up tents on the pavements and with door to door visits, once the fiber was live
So is anyone in your suburb still using DSL, or is everyone now migrated to FTTH?

We all know that FTTH is vastly superior compared to Telkom's DSL, especially if one chooses an ISP with true uncapped and unshaped bandwidth, however people will tend to stay with what they have unless there are given incentives to switch.

Telkom needs to convince DSL customers by giving them incentives (not just a lower monthly cost) to switch to FTTH: for example free migration (zero installation/activation fees for FTTH and a free router) and more importantly a guarantee that their DSL will be cancelled automatically (inclusive of analogue line) when the migration to FTTH is completed.

deesef

So is anyone in your suburb still using DSL, or is everyone now migrated to FTTH?

We all know that FTTH is vastly superior compared to Telkom's DSL, especially if one chooses an ISP with true uncapped and unshaped bandwidth, however people will tend to stay with what they have unless there are given incentives to switch.

Telkom needs to convince DSL customers by giving them incentives (not just a lower monthly cost) to switch to FTTH: for example free migration (zero installation/activation fees for FTTH and a free router) and more importantly a guarantee that their DSL will be cancelled automatically (inclusive of analogue line) when the migration to FTTH is completed.
Well, I can't talk for anyone else in the area, but I have successfully migrated at no direct cost to myself, as soon as the fibre became live. I did need to sig sign the 2-year contract fit the freebies, but that included a lit box

I have not had any account problems with the migration. The only thing that I lost was the second email address, as the uncapped package only has 1 email address.

My main incentive to migrate from dsl was the increase in line speed (only 4 meg dsl here) and the VAST IMPROVEMENT in service quality and uptime.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Well, I can't talk for anyone else in the area, but I have successfully migrated at no direct cost to myself, as soon as the fibre became live. I did need to sig sign the 2-year contract fit the freebies, but that included a lit box

I have not had any account problems with the migration. The only thing that I lost was the second email address, as the uncapped package only has 1 email address.

My main incentive to migrate from dsl was the increase in line speed (only 4 meg dsl here) and the VAST IMPROVEMENT in service quality and uptime.
A lengthy contract with any company is not everyone's idea of an incentive, I for one view it as a disincentive, but I can understand why Telkom would want to lock customers in for 24 months.

If you're using an ISP-provided email service, you're doing it wrong.
https://www.google.com/search?q=gmail+aliases