• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Telkom R899 July deal sham Beware!!!

So I received a phone call from, Mr. Agent. My smart broadband (R799)package is due for an upgrade. We went through all the bells and whistles He then explained to me that with the new B525 router i will get faster speeds as i will connect to the LTE-A network. He also said that the 150 GB will only count to downloads and browzing ect but not streaming. Then I explained to him that i get currently 300GB on my package before they throttle it to 4 Mbps. Sounds good right so stupid me I opt for the new deal with LTE-A connection.

Today got the new router plugged it in and waited for the new sim to activate. Sim activated 20 min later. Me sitting in an LTE-A area with max speeds of 10Mbps.......So i started to check this out. All new uncapped packages are max 10Mbps!!!! with 150GB cap then 4Mbps for 50 GB en uncapped at 2 Mbps.

So the agent lied to me completely. I pay more for less per month. Slower speeds and less cap!!!!

I am still in my 7-day window to cancel this contract...So wish me luck but I'm not going to leave this here.

/rant will continue soon.

bashan

Where the agent said with the new router he will get faster speeds. Its a lie if its capped at 10Mbps. How is he going to get faster speeds? He was probably getting better then 10Mbps before he upgraded

HerZeLeiD

Yeah this is old news. It pays to research and reading fine prints before getting into contracts.

In this day in age I can't believe people still sign up for contracts for internet packages anyways.

marioat1

How'd the agent lie? Modem supplied can get higher speeds than some older units. Agent omitted critical information and op did not do necessary research before agreeing to contract.

Sweevo

Honorary Master
How'd the agent lie? Modem supplied can get higher speeds than some older units. Agent omitted critical information and op did not do necessary research before agreeing to contract.
If you believe that you'll believe anything.

cavedog

Honorary Master
That should not be an issue. The sales agent needs to make a good pitch but can't mislead the consumer into thinking they will get something that it's not.

It was always going to be a hard sell for him to convince OP to take a new deal that costs more per month with less value. Less cap and slower speeds. :erm:

That should not be an issue. The sales agent needs to make a good pitch but can't mislead the consumer into thinking they will get something that it's not.

It was always going to be a hard sell for him to convince OP to take a new deal that costs more per month with less value. Less cap and slower speeds. :erm:
Thank you Yes should have researched first but this was the first time I heard about the 899 deal. if the agent told me max 10mbps I would have said no. I am in my first 7 days should be able to cancle

JOEY_8

If you have issues cancelling, tell Wendy Knowler about this. She's been taking Telkom up lately

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I looked at the print advert this morning, shocking that it is not stipulated explicitly anywhere on that page.

Even the webadd doesn't state it clearly https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/campaign/july-big-deal-2018/

Last edited:

Solarion

Honorary Master
Yeah this is old news. It pays to research and reading fine prints before getting into contracts.

In this day in age I can't believe people still sign up for contracts for internet packages anyways.
What is the alternative? Get the landline then go Axxess or something?

So an update,

Spoke to Telkom yesterday and it was not a Telkom agent how phoned me.....The place name is Sell direct......First thought was HTF did they get my details?

Spoke to Sell direct and lodged a dispute regarding the agent that lied to me about the t's & c's also made it clear that I want to revert back to my old package and that they will be accoutable for any costs. Had to phone selldirect 4 times yesterday yet no one has came back to me. also the helpdesk refuse to put me to a manager

to be continued