Telkom re-focuses on fibre

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Telkom's impressive fibre drive

Telkom's annual results reveal that Openserve's fibre infrastructure passed 839,691 homes with 389,109 homes connected on 31 March 2022.

It is a substantial increase from a year ago when Openserve passed 549,957 homes with fibre and had 281,065 connections.

MEG101

I would welcome any fiber network in my area of Hersham Great Brakriver in Western Cape. All we have are Openserve DSL max speed 10mbps. I would upgrade my DSL to fiber in a snap if it was available. Funny that suburbs close to me all have Openserve fiber and even Octotel. Maybe they expand to me in future.

Death

Openserve missed a step potentially in PE. Frogfoot flooded PE and did a great job expanding the fibre network availability to areas that had no Fibre coverage. Only problem is, their core network in the area battles to keep up with the demand. So frequent issues and full blown outages. Openserve could run concurrently passed these areas and most people I know would jump ship to themcin a heart beat to rid themselves of "frotfoot" as they've become known.

OhYeah84

Expert Member
Openserve missed a step potentially in PE. Frogfoot flooded PE and did a great job expanding the fibre network availability to areas that had no Fibre coverage. Only problem is, their core network in the area battles to keep up with the demand. So frequent issues and full blown outages. Openserve could run concurrently passed these areas and most people I know would jump ship to themcin a heart beat to rid themselves of "frotfoot" as they've become known.
Yep, they're not even in Mangold Park and they could roll out that neighborhood in weeks. I have a dark zone in my suburb where I can get their ADSL but not fibre. But 2 roads down, same suburb and you can get Openserve fibre.
They're not going to finish rolling out. Pity, I'd just jump ASAP.

xtm

Expert Member
Telkom's annual results reveal that Openserve's DSL infrastructure passed 839,691 homes with 389,109 homes connected on 31 March 2022.
It is a substantial increase from a year ago when Openserve passed 549,957 homes with DSL and had 281,065 connections.

I think that's the right term...fixed

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Hopefully they roll out fibre in my area, this Vuma Reach isn't a very good service.

Reactions: Yuu

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I think they are. Check my Openserve in phoenix thread thread
I'm in Umkomaas, I was just nosing around the Phoenix and Chatsworth threads to get an idea what to expect from Reach while they were building in the area.

What's wrong with Vuma Reach?
Asymmetrical Line
Only 3 options 2 of them only have 10mb upload
Takes them forever to fix an issue with line speeds
Takes them forever to fix a line speed issue
Installation is shoddy
Currently getting random drops in speed and random disconnects

So far this my experience for the 1st 2 months with the service.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
I would welcome any fiber network in my area of Hersham Great Brakriver in Western Cape. All we have are Openserve DSL max speed 10mbps. I would upgrade my DSL to fiber in a snap if it was available. Funny that suburbs close to me all have Openserve fiber and even Octotel. Maybe they expand to me in future.
What happened to Route (fibre) Networks? I thought they had imminent plans https://routenetworks.africa/coverage