Telkom retaliating against smaller FNO?

Skankhunt

Expert Member
So interesting thing happening.....

After many months of struggling to get fibre, a smaller FNO (Fibre Network Owner Operator, thanks @pinball wizard for correcting me) - Linteg - agreed to install Fibre throughout our neighbourhood + town.
I've been in touch with Linteg from day one when they showed interest in our town, introduced them to our Rate Payers association, submitted expression of interest etc etc etc till they gave us a green light.
They finally had wayleaves approved about 2 weeks ago and are due to start trenching in the next few weeks - apparently just waiting for their stock.

Yesterday whilst walking my dog I saw these huge holes, dug on the corners of most streets, so I thought, Linteg is gradually starting to trench.
This afternoon, driving from the supermarket, I saw brand new poles planted into all those holes. I thought, perhaps new streetlights as our neighbourhood is pretty dark in the evenings.

The poles raised some questions on our neighbourhood Whatsapp group. About an hour back, our local DA council woman confirmed it's Telkom doing aerial fibre after she went snooping around.

They literally just rock up here, out of the blue.
Could it be that Telkom found out through our local municipality that a smaller FNO is about to install and potentially will make their sea air moist corroded copper infrastructure / congested LTE obsolete if they don't do something and jumped the queue?
Not too long ago, Telkom were handing out LTE routers to everyone to replace ADSL, so honestly had no idea Telkom / Openserve even thought of doing Fibre here....

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Yuu

Polymathic

Honorary Master
So interesting thing happening.....

After many months of struggling to get fibre, a smaller FNO (Linteg) agreed to install Fibre throughout our neighbourhood + town.
I've been in touch with Linteg from day one when they showed interest in our town, introduced them to our Rate Payers association, submitted expression of interest etc etc etc till they gave us a green light.
They finally had wayleaves approved about 2 weeks ago and are due to start trenching in the next few weeks - apparently just waiting for their stock.

Yesterday whilst walking my dog I saw these huge holes, dug on the corners of most streets, so I thought, Linteg is gradually starting to trench.
This afternoon, driving from the supermarket, I saw brand new poles planted into all those holes. I thought, perhaps new streetlights as our neighbourhood is pretty dark in the evenings.

The poles raised some questions on our neighbourhood Whatsapp group. About an hour back, our local DA council woman said it's Telkom doing aerial fibre. Just out of the blue.
Could it be that Telkom found out through our local municipality that a smaller FNO is about to install and potentially will make their sea air moist corroded copper infrastructure / congested LTE obsolete if they don't do something and jumped the queue?
Are they 100% sure? Because Eskom is currently upgrading infrastructure here which includes replacing poles.

If it is Telkom/Openserve that basically means that they had wayleaves approved months if not years ago, there openserve signs asking people to signup for fibre a couple years ago when they were hooking at the time up the new Telkom tower.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
Are they 100% sure? Because Eskom is currently upgrading infrastructure here which includes replacing poles.

If it is Telkom/Openserve that basically means that they had wayleaves approved months if not years ago, there openserve signs asking people to signup for fibre a couple years ago when they were hooking at the time up the new Telkom tower.

Two residents confirmed on the Whatsapp group that they asked the contractors outside of their homes and said it's for Telkom.... And our neighbourhood's Eskom are mostly underground too as far as I know.

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
No, Telkom is actively replacing copper cables with their own fibre network. Maybe they were just prodded to get a move on by a potential competitor?

Skankhunt

Expert Member
No, Telkom is actively replacing copper cables with their own fibre network. Maybe they were just prodded to get a move on by a potential competitor?
Makes sense.... but I mean, in very few other places would you have multiple FNO's operating in the same area/suburbs due to feasibility, so yes most certainly did the potential competitor give Telkom a nudge to act sooner.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
This. When Vumatel was about to roll out by us, OpenServe "rushed" to roll out in my area before Vumatel finished.
Makes sense.... but I mean, in very few other places would you have multiple FNO's operating in the same area/suburbs due to feasibility, so yes most certainly did the potential competitor give Telkom a nudge to act sooner.
I have 3, all depends on where on the route of the main fiber trunks you lie.

belator

This is exactly how I ended up with three FNOs at my house.

First, July 2018, Cape Connect comes down the road, drops off a paperwork pack at each house showing their permits etc, giving details of their Internode open access network and describing in detail what to expect in the coming weeks.

They dug in August 2018. Our road's about 750m. It took about a week for the whole process to be done, then we had to wait for four days clear sunshine before the guys with tar driveways were reinstated.

Before they were done reinstating the driveways, Openserve were running overhead fibre to each house in the street. They just dug holes next to telephone poles, over their existing ducts, broke into the ducts, pushed the fibre through and ran it up the poles. Just like that.

A couple of months after that, around April 2019, Frogfoot came by, dug everything up and ran fibre next to Cape Connect.

The best way to get a girlfriend is to already have one.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
this has me worried if Linteg pulls from your area whatever chance of we getting fibre because we only have 65% of the required 40% of total residents, so we haven't been greenlit yet :( so there's a good chance Openserve won't even bother.

Luckily for you Openserve prices seem to be much better than what Linteg have listed for your area

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
This. When Vumatel was about to roll out by us, OpenServe "rushed" to roll out in my area before Vumatel finished.

I have 3, all depends on where on the route of the main fiber trunks you lie.
Ja the same happened in our area. Frogfoot was on the point of doing it when Openserve came in and within a matter of two weeks, the fibres were there on the poles. Then the wheels fell off and project stalled for 2 years, but Frogfoot had moved on -----.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
Ja the same happened in our area. Frogfoot was on the point of doing it when Openserve came in and within a matter of two weeks, the fibres were there on the poles. Then the wheels fell off and project stalled for 2 years, but Frogfoot had moved on -----.

So OS put up the Fibre on the poles and left it for 2 years without making it live?

• Wow

Tun@

Expert Member
Fibre on the poles is for the point of doing what? wireless from house to the pole instead of a line?

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
Hah, by the time Openserve realises what's happening in Jeffreys Bay, half of the town will protest at having their pavement dug up again.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
I'm no expert, but feels weird to have Fibre on poles in this area... We have strong winds, vervets and huge birds.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
Hah, by the time Openserve realises what's happening in Jeffreys Bay, half of the town will protest at having their pavement dug up again.

I'm in the Jbay of the KZN South Coast. lol. Surfers, hippies and vegans. loll

When I started running the Fibre campaign in our area people were confusing it with 5G and convinced it causes corona.

What's happening with Herotel / Igen fibre?

Last edited:

Skankhunt

Expert Member
this has me worried if Linteg pulls from your area whatever chance of we getting fibre because we only have 65% of the required 40% of total residents, so we haven't been greenlit yet :( so there's a good chance Openserve won't even bother.

Luckily for you Openserve prices seem to be much better than what Linteg have listed for your area

I'm totally FNO agnostic though... Only R100 difference between Linteg 100mbps and Openserve 100mbps (Cool Ideas) so no big deal, I really just want a stable Fibre internet connection. lol

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
What's happening with Herotel / Igen fibre?
Seems to be mostly on hold for now, but areas which have fibre can sign up for it now. A large section of Wavecrest, Da Gama, and about half of Noorsekloof are covered.

This pandemic added an additional year to the wait time for my suburb to get it. For some reason, Igen can't offer their Fusion Wireless in my area despite the clear need for it.

Monka

Its probably poles that they are going to use to anchor fibre cable that feeds a cell tower in your areas