Telkom RICA fraud?

jasper

I registered and logged into my telkom account https://selfservice.telkom.co.za/digital/products/#/
using my ID number, I was shocked to see all of these numbers RICA'ed against my ID number.
Only 4 numbers are actually mine (not shown below) all of the rest of these numbers I know nothing about and have never had anything to do with them (to my knowlege) . there are no contracts or costs associated with them, they are just RICA'd to my account. I went into the telkom office and he said "Oh yes , there was a problem with telkom employees keeping copies of your ID and proof of residence and then using them to RICA people in the street" . I asked him to fix them but he was more interested in selling me a new contract.

Very worrying that RICA only affects the honest people and its so easy to get around.

Anyone else have this problem?

namzsteve

Expert Member
Had a few numbers on my side too, in 2017 I think. I fought with Telkom to have them removed, which took some time.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Another thread about the issue:

One option:
SIM swap them into your possession, leave them unused so that the number gets recycled after a few months (should then disappear from your profile, a prepaid SIM I had that fell into disuse, disappeared after a few months of disuse)

marioat1

Expert Member
I registered and logged into my telkom account https://selfservice.telkom.co.za/digital/products/#/
using my ID number, I was shocked to see all of these numbers RICA'ed against my ID number.
Only 4 numbers are actually mine (not shown below) all of the rest of these numbers I know nothing about and have never had anything to do with them (to my knowlege) . there are no contracts or costs associated with them, they are just RICA'd to my account. I went into the telkom office and he said "Oh yes , there was a problem with telkom employees keeping copies of your ID and proof of residence and then using them to RICA people in the street" . I asked him to fix them but he was more interested in selling me a new contract.

Very worrying that RICA only affects the honest people and its so easy to get around.

Anyone else have this problem?

View attachment 725932
Click on manage services and blacklist the sim or do a simswap to keep the numbers

cavedog

Honorary Master
Go here

Click on Blacklist. Blacklist all the simcards and give reason saying RICA Fraud.

You can also suspend these number by blicking on suspend and those people will not be able to unsuspend it as they will not know your ID number when they phone 180 to ask whats happening. They can also not register the number on their profile if they do not know your ID number.

These simcards are sold on the streets to foreign nationals or locals that does not want to RICA their own numbers.

R13...

Honorary Master
Go here

Click on Blacklist. Blacklist all the simcards and give reason saying RICA Fraud.

You can also suspend these number by blicking on suspend and those people will not be able to unsuspend it as they will not know your ID number when they phone 180 to ask whats happening. They can also not register the number on their profile if they do not know your ID number.

These simcards are sold on the streets to foreign nationals or locals that does not want to RICA their own numbers.

View attachment 725978
Got a few such. I'm going to blacklist the ****ers.

Nurple Derple

Honorary Master
I'm get worried I don't see my prepaid SIM . According to them I have no products with Telkom