Telkom sales agent pestering to change from Telkom ADSL to LTE

johncgalloway

Hi y'all

I hope someone can help clear this up.

My manager is being pestered by a lady claiming to be from Telkom, she's been phoning him to sell him some kind of LTE package which apparently has a cap of 20gb. This for some R290 (some-odd) per month, claiming that she can see he has ADSL and is on a 20gb fair usage policy. (As far as I know (and according to his phone bill) he is actually on 40gb cap, which he doesn't apparently reach.)

Anyway, so he gave the phone to me and I started asking questions, basically the following transpired:

She told me he was on 20gb softcap (he is on 40gb), with his phone rental he is paying around R580 a month, so yeah
the LTE might be cheaper but it won't be less the phone line rental anyway. So I first asked her name, she did not give it, so I asked her what the package is called... "LTE" (in a "duh" voice). So I asked her again, doesn't it have a name
like "DO UNCAPPED" or such, no clarification. So I asked her about the cap, is it billed to stop exactly when you reach your cap, are there any out of bundle costs etc. so I get told "Yes, it is capped, when you reach cap they let you know you have and you must tell them if you want more cap" then she started mentioning out of bundle rates. Basically she kinda did, and also in a way didn't directly say that you will not be billed in excess of the monthly fee. (She did mention that the in bundle rate is 2c per mb and out is 30c if I am not mistaken.

Oh and this deal was tailored for him and he would get a router that would extend his range to either 150 / 250m.

All in all I did not feel to safe with this call, and told my manager so. Also, it might be a bit old-style, but I have more faith in a fixed line than a wireless one.

(PS. He later mentioned she had started asking him for his bank details over the phone, which makes this even more of a no no imho.)

I'm just wondering if any of you have dealt with this before from Telkom and if you can be a bit more clear on how this works? (And just saying, giving a person LTE download speeds with 20gb of data is like selling a Ferrari with a 5 litre petrol tank.)

Thanks guys!

J

cavedog

Honorary Master
Well LTE is superior to ADSL in a way compared to throughout and stability if you have an adsl line and you are some distanve from the dslam.

Telkom LTE in general is pretty good and in most cases but not all will probably beat the speed of adsl of you have a 10Mbps or less adsl line. Some Telkom lte towers even push 60Mbps upwards so yeah lte is pretty decent.

The B315 router telkom supplies is nice too. Voip option and battery pack included so if the power is out you still have internet for about 4 hours or so.

If you don't use tons of data LTE can save you some money especially if you buy night surfer data and make use of that.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Well LTE is superior to ADSL in a way compared to throughout and stability if you have an adsl line and you are some distanve from the dslam.

Telkom LTE in general is pretty good and in most cases but not all will probably beat the speed of adsl of you have a 10Mbps or less adsl line. Some Telkom lte towers even push 60Mbps upwards so yeah lte is pretty decent.

The B315 router telkom supplies is nice too. Voip option and battery pack included so if the power is out you still have internet for about 4 hours or so.

If you don't use tons of data LTE can save you some money especially if you buy night surfer data and make use of that.
My LTE at 7pm to 10pm was historically dog slow compared to my ADSL which was just normal then.

I will test tonight and update.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

Nope, LTE probably still has higher packet loss and is more likely to suffer from congestion than ADSL (as the DSL market has pretty much reached saturation and everyone is moving to fiber/LTE if possible).

Well, if you have a battery/power for the router on ADSL, it will still work as well.

Yeah, but not at 20GB, cost is R449/month according to the site. You can get the 5GB option for R249, 10GB for R349.
LTE is not worth it over 20GB unless you get the unlimited plan at R799, which is not worth it for OP (if he's in the service area).

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Regardless of which is better, it is fishy.

Telkom would already have his banking details right? He is an existing customer. Besides which, Telkom does not require a debit order.

Could be an overzealous sales agent trying to make her number.

Tell your boss to watch his bill carefully.

johncgalloway

Thanks! I will definitely tell him to keep a close eye on those charges! As for the price vs the data etc, yeah, no, I think it's ridiculous. If they want to compete against their own ADSL packages they need to up their cap game, 20gb at those speeds... ridiculous.

At home, I am still sticking to ADSL, even though we have Vuma in our area, I just cannot bring myself to fork over the amount of money they want for installation, on top of the R900 plus that they want every time you decide / need to move ISP.

bokka1

Expert Member
I also had a very persistent sales person pestering me. From a Durban number. He does not take no for an answer.

BBSA

Honorary Master
I also had a very persistent sales person pestering me. From a Durban number. He does not take no for an answer.
Tell him politely you are not interested, if that doesn't work just cut him off.

Budza

Executive Member
Haha, Telkom...

Others I know are being pestered to change from LTE to Fibre :crylaugh: