Telkom says it is not losing the fibre war

system32

Expert Member
Telkom said in its latest annual report that it has a strong focus on fibre to the business and fibre to the base station because they have significantly higher ARPU than FTTH passed.
But, but, but, there are many, many more homes than businesses and base stations, orders of magnitude more.

Telkom's slice of the pie is shrinking.
From owning 100% of all land based connectivity to a bit player.

walterl

Expert Member
>>>Speaking to The Money Show’s Bruce Whitfield, Maseko said Telkom is “certainly not” losing the fibre battle.

They are just not winning but certainly not losing

CT_Biker

Expert Member
As the article says Telkom is not focused on the FTTH, they are focusing on a 5G rollout.

Didn't BCX just partner with/finance DFA with regards to fibre backbone being rolled out in neighboring countries?

Burny1

With the other providers offering up to 1000mbps links no wonder people are leaving Telkom. Also the price difference of a 100mbps link on Openserve / Telkom vs Octotel is up to 30%. If i had the option i would go with anyone other than openserve.

Johand

Expert Member
So they are not losing the fibre war just the fibre to the home war. Maybe they just need to order some Special K then they can be ok in the nutritional fibre front as well.

access

Executive Member
With the other providers offering up to 1000mbps links no wonder people are leaving Telkom. Also the price difference of a 100mbps link on Openserve / Telkom vs Octotel is up to 30%. If i had the option i would go with anyone other than openserve.
they get people to sign up simply by being there first, once the other providers arrive they lose to superior alternatives.

Ryansr

Expert Member
When I read the heading of the article, my first thought was if they were going to somehow find a way to monopolize the Fibre market? Knowing the ANC's hard-on for the SEO's, I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of policy is in the works to make that happen. :unsure:

Yskasmetnstoof

Swa

Honorary Master
No other provider's fibre footprint comes close to Telkom's.

Telkom is dying, its current share price is a strong indicator to this.
You are aware their share price surged by over 100% in a year? It's not unusual for a correction to take place after such a big jump.

The 1Gbps is mostly local with international still limited to 100Mbps. People don't notice this as the speedtests are local. 100Mbps is more than enough for any ordinary person.

What we need is more affordable entry level options as the power users have been having it. Should be at least 20Mbps for R300 and Telkom is close to providing this.

Reactions: Yuu