Telkom says it is ready for uncapped local bandwidth

Which comment closest resembles your understanding of "uncapped local bandwidth"

• Pay a set amount upfront and use as much as you like with no limits...

Votes: 206 93.2%
  • Pay for what you use with your wallet as your limit...

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Is this true uncapped or pay per GB uncapped?

Very vague.

But why do they need time to test it? I mean, there's already local-only ADSL accounts available - and they want more time for what? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hope it's true uncapped and not pay-per-GB...

And how long will the testing period be? Two years? :mad:

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Very vague.

But why do they need time to test it? I mean, there's already local-only ADSL accounts available - and they want more time for what? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hope it's true uncapped and not pay-per-GB...
New here? Welcome to SA - if you need a guide feel free to . . . . :p

I'm thinking that is unlikely :)

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
:D:D:D:D

Same here... think they'll string us along as usual, and at the very end will say that it's a semi-capped sort of thing... uncapped, but you pay per meg...

We'll have to wait and see...
That word has just been ruined for me :eek:

I guess Telkom is redefining November 1st and ICASA will go along with it.

stoke

Honorary Master
Victory.
Okay ... what's next? SLA's?
I still cannot believe we have to FORCE compliance.

HaNsA

Expert Member
“Telkom Internet commenced testing its intended solutions from 1 November 2007 in a live environment to ensure that the solution complies with the regulation concerned.

so it was supposed to be ready by nov. 1 , they start testing it only on nov.1

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
WHy would they not be able to offer local uncapped if they were doing it a few years ago?
Technically the networks should have all the capacity they need and when/if international bandwidth becomes affordable then they should uncap that too.....

Oh wait this is SA, erase all aforementioned comments from your mind!

quovadis

Executive Member
I doubt it'll be for free... best case of the worst case scenario (pay for both) would be you have 1 account with 'X' amount of international bandwidth and 'X' amount of local bandwidth.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
If they say it's uncapped, but pay-as-you-go, then I hope that they will have the decency not to charge an arm or leg per Megabyte... :sick:

Lord Anubis

Expert Member
so some while ago a lonely techy in telskommel land basically put in a suggestion to telskommel management and said: "eish why duz wee not just chaarged them for de buybdwidth an calla it uncapped local eish"..he was then promoted to regional manager of development eish...he then gave in another suggestion:.."eish why duz we not just waistes their time and tella dem that we uz gonna test dis new ting"...he was then promoted to CEO.

Juice

Expert Member
I'd be interested to see how they're going to make it work. According to the regulations, as I understand them, local traffic must not contribute to the cap, and local traffic must itself not be capped.

So, in Telkom's La-La-Land, does that mean that:

1) If you have a 3Gb account, it means 3Gb of international traffic (or whatever arbitrary figure they decide to write into your new contract to replace the old one) and once you reach 3Gb of international traffic only, that portion of your access will be blocked
2) You will ALSO have an uncapped local account where you can download as much data as you are prepared to pay for, maybe starting with some magnanimous 3Gb of local traffic thrown in for free before they start billing you for the local traffic.

I mean, Telkom is Telkom. What are the odds that it won't be something as ridiculously skewed in their favour as the above? It's a clear win-win for them, abides by the letter of the regulations, if not the spirit. I'd love to see them do this, just so they can burn away whatever goodwill may remain towards them. Die Telkom, DIE.

Albereth

Honorary Master
Do not underestimate the evil empires ability to gouge you even further.

We understand that uncapped meant no limit. Teklom has twisted this to mean we don't stop your access but we will make you pay for everything you use over 3GB. And we'll give you the headache of managing your own usage, and the first 3GB gets consumed by both local and international usage.

So from Teklom to all of you - fat toffee. You wanted to cry to ICASA, now we're getting some payback.

Teklom really is infested with horrid little people and ICASA has all the stupid ones.

Juice

Expert Member
Hahahaha - I can see it now. They'll actually allow users to select a package where the local will be hard-capped, as an optional extra, once you hit your cap, so that you can be 'protected' from any unnecessary and accidental utilisation and not have to pay for bandwidth that you don't intend to use. Much like they currently allow you to select a maximum limit on your phone bill, just in case something goes wrong.

Oh, and die Telkom, DIE.