Telkom says not to panic over shutdown of ADSL

j4ck455

Executive Member
Steven White, the executive for product development and management at Telkom, assured customers that Telkom will not leave them in the lurch.
The old Telkom is back and is telling lies again: Telkom has been disconnecting copper and leaving customers in the lurch for a long time now.

“While the move away from copper-based internet is compulsory, we are here to work with customers to find an alternative connectivity solution that best suits their needs. If they aren’t on board with fibre, there are many other options available to choose from, such as wireless LTE and Fixed Line Lookalike (FLLA),” White said.
That is what the bloody Telkom agents have been pushing for years: LTE and now this FLLA (bad tasting custard?), the agents like to push LTE (not FTTH) when they call.

“We want all those affected to know that we are waiving the cost of installation. So, essentially, customers can benefit from an incredible upgrade without having to pay a cent in the process. The only cost involved will be the monthly cost of the new internet package that each user selects,” White stated.
What's the fine print on that free installation, maybe a 24 month contract with Telkom?

Although it will follow a gradual progression, the overall strategic objective is to decommission and replace old copper technology with fibre entirely.
The progression is hardly gradual when ADSL is going to be shutdown in a very long list of areas on 1st September 2020:
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/adsl...south-africa-these-areas-will-be-cut-off.html

Telkom urged customers who have concerns regarding the transition to get in touch with an agent for further information and for details regarding fibre, how it works, and why it is superior.
I would be very surprised if the bloody agents are capable of providing such off-script details and insight, expect to have LTE shoved down your throat instead of FTTH.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Yeah, I am on 20mbps VDSL, uncapped : I was offered uncapped LTE first 150 Gig. @ 10mbps, next 40 Gig. @ 4mbps, thereafter, 2mbps, till month end. Told them, so sorry, but NO!!

Have yet to here back from them.

german_weasel

I was on a 10mbs uncapped, unthrottled dsl line, when cables were stolen, we were switched to the LTE “equivalent” which is really, really not. It’s the worst connection I have ever had and is currently costing me more than double of what I paid monthly. I cannot stress how angry the overall service delivery in this country makes me.

the worst part is that it’s so SO hard to Contact telkom at all. It’s nearly impossible.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
I was on a 10mbs uncapped, unthrottled dsl line, when cables were stolen, we were switched to the LTE “equivalent” which is really, really not. It’s the worst connection I have ever had and is currently costing me more than double of what I paid monthly. I cannot stress how angry the overall service delivery in this country makes me.

the worst part is that it’s so SO hard to Contact telkom at all. It’s nearly impossible.

Not being able to contact them is a big part of why they are BAD.

Our e-mail at work has been down a month.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Will Steven White be going to the relevant employees that re contacting people and explain it all to them personally (even if via Teams or Zoom)? And tell them they must not cut off people who don't have alternatives as has happened? I doubt it. He will send an e-mail to some people, that these agents that are calling the people will never see.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Register your own domain at Afrihost so they host your email.

Let your clients know...

Profit.

Bossman stubbornly refuses, yold him to move to gmail at least, cheapest solution, second your recomendation, also not want to move on that. Don't understand why, so we battle.

Nurple Derple

Honorary Master
They are telling customers not to panic when they are panicking and shutting down services Willy Nilly

i.got~issues

Expert Member
Ok ... Plumstead copper decommissioned 1st Sept, so now the cancel current ADSL and voice line tango begins.

WTF is it so hard to process a cancellation Telkom. JFC!!

Is it necessary to even cancel, won't it all just kinda end and be gone 1st September?

/meh pffft

Last edited:

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Geez, I don't think I've ever seen a company flip-flop over an issue this much before. Talk about talking out of both corners of your mouth. One day ADSL is dead, the next day it's being revived, then it's dead again. Then they create a whole new class of ADSL (Naked ADSL), then they tell everyone it's dead again, but only if you live in a fibre or LTE area.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Geez, I don't think I've ever seen a company flip-flop over an issue this much before. Talk about talking out of both corners of your mouth. One day ADSL is dead, the next day it's being revived, then it's dead again. Then they create a whole new class of ADSL (Naked ADSL), then they tell everyone it's dead again, but only if you live in a fibre or LTE area.

The way we roll these, sorry if we are clueless ... , it is just the way we are ... , ag shame.

Grumpy69

and who says the thieves wont steal the fibre cables???? somebody will find a market? if they can steal manhole covers, they can steal fibre cables.