Telkom says WhatsApp and new tech partly to blame for retrenchments

MEIOT

Expert Member
It's like yearning for the days of horse and carriage transport when flying cars are starting to become a reality :ROFL:
Some things are inevitable, the decline of monopolistic competition like Telkom is one of those things. Eskom next.

now05ster

Expert Member
Not wrong but not rocket science either. The biggest problem is the company relied on its monopoly too much.
And not leverage their existing technologies as much.

Also, how do you blame industry innovation? That just means you didn't innovate.

I, like a handful of people I know, do not like Telkom at all due to the many instances of bad customer service experienced. I therefore don't care if they fail except that it decreases competition and so many employees will be negatively affected .

Iwojima

Expert Member
Well Telkom, due to your decades as a monolithic monopoly you lost the ability to innovate and failed to move with the times. You have only yourself to blame, not the march of technological progress.

yebocan

Honorary Master
A forwarding thinking/looking company would have anticipated this ....up-skilled their current workforce.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I don't think things are as bleak as Telkom making it out to be. I think this is mostly a PR play to dump as many of the redundant staff as fast as possible.

obsidian86

I do think some companies let losses and breakdowns go beyond the point of return to have proof beyond doubt to show unions that they need to lay off workforce

falcon786

Executive Member
The bigger reason is the way you treat your customers.
That and how they basically threw fibre away to try to compete in the mobile space instead!They should have taken care of their main cash cow and replaced the copper network years ago already on a completely new less bloated system.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
And maybe learning that spamming a person with calls 5 times a day is not a good idea.

My true caller has been going nuts this year, about 5 calls a day getting blocked.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
While Telkom said that it is investing in these new technologies to secure the company’s future, it noted that the return on this investment is at lower margins.
Investing in which technologies? Yes, when you work with 'lower' margins you need to sustain growth and maintain volume. They can't put their dick into the pie anymore.

Our SOEs and other bodies like SARS have always sucked with innovation, not only did they decide to stay and think within the box, but they also placed the box in the trough.

Today it is IoT or nothing, and virtual assistance is incoming.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Oh, and their mobile service sucks. They should have opted to go with a VoIP alternative in places where their mobile network isn't viable, upselling internet connectivity where possible in places where landlines are removed.

itsme2

The bigger reason is the way you treat your customers.
^ THIS
I detest Telscum. Dishonest & incompetent. I will never ever ever use them again, and I make sure to tell anyone I can about how disingenuous they are.
9 months to cancel my account, blacklisted me, lied to me, made me run around in circles. **** you Telscum.
And then go and blame anything else but yourselves and your lame-duck management and stinky attitudes. Haha