Telkom Technicians and Front Desk employees are liars!

Eyenstyn

Note: [I know Telkom has crap customer service and a lot of people have been through this.] [Apologies for the length of this post.]

[Also the spelling and grammar in the post is off at some points because my pc at work has ie6 O_O. Yeah. The php script for the emotocons blocks most of the textbox. And since this post is soo long i didnt even bother copy pasting it into word and proof reading it... :/]

I recently moved to joburg cbd and i wanted a land line installed in my apartment. I went to the telkom office in the bd and i did the neccessary process. Which included paying a fee of R700 upfront because i didnt have an ITC bacgkround or credit record - because i dont want to be in debt :p but will open a clothing account now because of this sh*t.

2 weeks down the line i got a call from the technician to ask if they can come and install the land line. I tell them that i am on training in woodmead and wont be home till 5. They then said that they will reschedule the appointmen, ask them if they can make it on monday and they said that they will call me on sunday to confirm the appointment.

No one called on sunday so i went to their office in joburg to ask what happend. The front desk person said the technician scheduled the appointment for 2 weeks time. I explained to the person at the front desk what happend, so she called the technician - because i got her name - kinda - it was Letsogo - kinda. So Letsogo starts to get angry and says that i had to book another appointment myself, and her hands are clean. Liar number 1.

2 weeks down the line again. a technician tries to call me but my office is on the 21st floor so the reception is bad and he doesnt get through plus at the time i did not have an office number(which i finally have). I go to the telkom office once again during lunch and ask if the technician is coming? They check the system and it says the appointment has been rescheduled to 2 weeks time. I ask them to call the technician so i can find out if he could still come today , since its only half a day gone and that day was supposed to be the day he actually installed the line. The technician says that he is busy and can only do it in 2 weeks - which seems a bit funny to totally dismiss a customer who was supposed to have gotten their line installed that day and actually tracks down your number to ask you to install it today. The technicians name was Thomas(the first name i get, this changes to Richard later on - by the receptionist). Ok so i convinced him to come on Monday at 12:00(lunch).

Monday 12:00 till 13:00, i wait outside my apartment. He doesnt show. I go back to the Telkom office and ask them what happend. They check the system and the technician is apparently on holiday that day. Liar number 2.

I wait a further 2 weeks. The same thing happend again, the technician could contact me because of signal strength. I go back to the office and they say that i have to wait another 2 weeks because of this - even though i went to them on the day and asked them why i didnt get a call! I ask the receptionist - Geraldine - if i could have the number for the Telkom branch and she says that they are not allowed to give that out. She then gives me the managers number - which turns out to be the Telkom branch number.
Liar number 3

I finally get an office number. The day the appointment is scheduled is the exact day the damn technicians choose to go on strike!. Its now been roughly 2 weeks since the strike and no land line.

I asked the receptionist - Geraldine - to report this to the technicians supervisor. She said she will. I got back her the next week and ask her to forward the mail to me. She says she may have deleted it. She then checks and finds the mail, which doesnt report anything but just asks if the line could be installed sooner. Then i asked her where i could go to complain about the bad service and she says use the toll free Telkom number.

So to end this long story - i am going to get and iburst account and wait for the land line to get installed eventually.

Last edited:

ponder

Honorary Master
Telkom staff have mastered passing the buck.
They (techs) don't really pass the buck. The tech scheduled for today will not be the same as the tech scheduled for next week and the techs themselves have no control over this. They are simply assigned to a job in the management system, in smaller areas the techs have a bit more control over this. The problem I find however is that the call centers do not record all the info you provide and you have to fscking repeat yourself the every single time.

When logging a fault I have resorted to asking for the call center persosn email address and sending them a detailed fault description with history so they can copy & paste it into webforce & unibase which at times even does not happen. This lack of recording details on their side just creates confusion, delays & going around in circles and the tech assigned to the job bares the brunt of the blame unfortunately seeing they are the public face of telkom which they don't deserve as they are the most willing and helpfull people always bending over backwards for you going the extra mile.

Last edited:

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Ever tried finding out who the tech is, what his contact details are, what his supervisors contact details are or what is happening with your fault (not just "they are working on it") via there support number?

They can give you most of this info but don't, even when you ask the call centre to get them to call you it will never happen.

I have in the last 2 years spent about 28 hours on hold with around 35/40 reference numbers with there support and not once been given an answer to any of the above questions.

Tanya35

Ever tried finding out who the tech is, what his contact details are, what his supervisors contact details are or what is happening with your fault (not just "they are working on it") via there support number?

They can give you most of this info but don't, even when you ask the call centre to get them to call you it will never happen.

I have in the last 2 years spent about 28 hours on hold with around 35/40 reference numbers with there support and not once been given an answer to any of the above questions.
Good luck in trying to escalate anything. They have mastered the art of preventing complaints. You will never get beyond supervisor level (ever).

Eyenstyn

Im comforted to know that i am not the only one but seriously though it sucks that we have such an inefficient telecommunications provider that doesnt have a sophisticated database to capture the appropriate details of clients or even create a better scheduling system.

I couldnt even give the receptionist an alternative number to reach me incase they couldnt contact me, she said she couldnt because the system doesnt cater for it.

They should create an online system where i can choose a date and time. If the techniciain doesnt show up then they should repremand him - slap him on his wrists or something - i could think of soo many alternatives but thats the most leniant thing i could post.

Tanya35

Im comforted to know that i am not the only one but seriously though it sucks that we have such an inefficient telecommunications provider that doesnt have a sophisticated database to capture the appropriate details of clients or even create a better scheduling system.

I couldnt even give the receptionist an alternative number to reach me incase they couldnt contact me, she said she couldnt because the system doesnt cater for it.

They should create an online system where i can choose a date and time. If the techniciain doesnt show up then they should repremand him - slap him on his wrists or something - i could think of soo many alternatives but thats the most leniant thing i could post.
There was a story once about a BT (British Telecom) engineer who turned up at an old lady's house a fe years ago. He gave her the run-around and she stopped him from leaving. Locked him in the kitchen until he fixed the fault! Ii don't recommend you do that, but it does say something.

I reckon Telkom purged their offices of anyone with the necessary skills (with BEE) and we will see more problems in future. Technicians who just sommer turn up are common. They also don't have a copy of what you told the receptionist about the problem. It just gets logged as "line fault". I suppose that helps with stats at month end.

Skew

I've been buggered around with Telkom a lot in the past and I can totally understand your frustration.

Look, the technicians are always the ones willing to help you out, and usually do the physical work despite the red-tape they have to go through to actually DO the work.
One tip I can give you though, and this has worked for me in the past:
Once the technician is actually at your flat, doing the work and everything is completed, ask him for his cellphone number.
This gets by all the admin BS so you can speak to a tech directly, find out his schedule and when he's free to setup an appointment.
I actually have the number of a tech called Absolon; coolest guy ever and when he came to install my line, it took him less than half an hour.

Eyenstyn

I've been buggered around with Telkom a lot in the past and I can totally understand your frustration.

Look, the technicians are always the ones willing to help you out, and usually do the physical work despite the red-tape they have to go through to actually DO the work.
One tip I can give you though, and this has worked for me in the past:
Once the technician is actually at your flat, doing the work and everything is completed, ask him for his cellphone number.
This gets by all the admin BS so you can speak to a tech directly, find out his schedule and when he's free to setup an appointment.
I actually have the number of a tech called Absolon; coolest guy ever and when he came to install my line, it took him less than half an hour.
Thats cool Skew. The last technician i spoke to lied, as to when he would come and install my land line :/

I hope when a technician eventually does come that he/she would be just as cool yours :)

MFour

Expert Member
One thing I've learnt about Telkom over the years is that if they phone to ask if they can come now, you say YES ON MY WAY! and then you get there as soon as possible. Failing to do this will result in the mess described by the OP. I have had a few run ins with my boss for doing just that, fortunately he understood the predicament after explaining my mysterious disappearances.

Sting

Ghost in the Machine
One thing I've learnt about Telkom over the years is that if they phone to ask if they can come now, you say YES ON MY WAY! and then you get there as soon as possible. Failing to do this will result in the mess described by the OP. I have had a few run ins with my boss for doing just that, fortunately he understood the predicament after explaining my mysterious disappearances.
I must agree with you here. Once you cancel that first appointment your life becomes a misery.

bradz

I must agree with you here. Once you cancel that first appointment your life becomes a misery.
LOL, agreed. I was in a management meeting and they called. I told them I would be home in 15min. In the end it took me over an hour to get home and to my surprise the poor guy was still there waiting.

Grand Past Master

This unfortunately is Africa - get hold of the technician`s cellphone number and offer him some cash - it works wonders.

Sting

Ghost in the Machine
What, you think he's gonna give up that opportunity and tell his boss /?
Fat chance - corrupt officials are everywhere
The techies' every move is tracked via his bakkie, cellphone and laptop. If he strays beyond the address he has been tasked to, he has to please explain. Their every move is mapped.

Anthro

Expert Member
The techies' every move is tracked via his bakkie, cellphone and laptop. If he strays beyond the address he has been tasked to, he has to please explain. Their every move is mapped.
0.o wow did not know that... quite intense.. I presume you are the fabled Telkom source everyone is quoting, since you know this inside info ?

Sting

Ghost in the Machine
0.o wow did not know that... quite intense.. I presume you are the fabled Telkom source everyone is quoting, since you know this inside info ?
No. This info is quite common knowledge... chat to your techie next time and he will tell you!

Xzib1t

Expert Member
Good luck in trying to escalate anything. They have mastered the art of preventing complaints. You will never get beyond supervisor level (ever).
Unless you know someone really useful in politics, then you get their attention.