• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Telkom throttling LTE CONNECTIONS at midnight?

Mr TL

Hi

I have an Huawei B315 LTE router. During the day my speeds are decent ranging between 10Mbps to 20Mbps if I am lucky. However whenever Midnight strikes and the midnight data is active my speed drops to below 1Mbps each and every night.

Any advice on what I can do with regards to this ?

RedhotNeo

Expert Member
Are you on the uncapped LTE.. this happens to me sometimes.. basically i switch between the 2300mhz and 1800mhz range a few times and the connection comes right..

Use huawei toolbox to do this

Leno

Midnight is also when the 500GB for R50 bundle kicks in, I think your tower is getting congested :/

Randux

Expert Member
Speeds at midnight have been shxtty lately. I hope they're having issues not throttling our connections.

Zuner

Expert Member
On the 500gb nightsurfer, no throttling happening for me, i did 55gb in 6 hours this morning.

Mr TL

Are you on the uncapped LTE.. this happens to me sometimes.. basically i switch between the 2300mhz and 1800mhz range a few times and the connection comes right..

Nope . I purchase the 60+60 GB LTE bundle each month along with the R50 for 500GB midnight data bundle

BigAl-sa

Executive Member

Don't have midnight throttling, but just wanted to say you don't need the toolbox to swop between 1800 and 2300MHz. If your modem software is up to date, you can change it from a browser.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I don't think it's throttling actually it might just be tower congestion. Lot's of people using the 500GB deal and then don't forget all the contract and prepaid capped LTE users also get equal amount of night surfer data so won't be surprised if it's just congestion.

Genisys

Executive Member
yes it does.. with throttling active, depending on how badly throttled u are, you wont be able to get close to the 500GB you paying for..
The price of that 500GB is R50. If they throttle that package (not saying they are, nor do I care if they do), so be it, it's R50, it isn't going to be the end of the world if it's throttled.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I don't know man but to hit 5Mbps everytime midnight strikes? Kind of suspicious.
Very.... Could be we just don't know what Telkom is up too. I won't mind testing from my side too but my tower is congested 24/7 even with LTE-A.

M_Kat

yes it does.. with throttling active, depending on how badly throttled u are, you wont be able to get close to the 500GB you paying for..
I average 1.5 ~2MBps (down from 4~5MBps before it became mainstream). And still manage to get what i want ,maybe not as quickly but still get it.

It took me roughly 2 nights to download the entire Dexter series -70gbs And maybe a week or 2 to get the X-files -90gb which was poorly seeded. Point is i got them.

But i guess to some degree speed matters.