Telkom to migrate ADSL customers to wireless and fibre

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Telkom to migrate ADSL customers to wireless and fibre

Telkom said it has upgraded over 96% of its prepaid fixed-line customers to wireless prepaid services, which the company said will improve their customer experience.

Telkom explained that its wireless service is more reliable than its copper-based technology and is less susceptible to interruptions as a result of adverse weather conditions, faults and cable theft.

mr_norris

Expert Member
This is not pleasing for my parents. No fibre in their area, so they'll be forced to use expensive wireless. I am disappoint.

Crusader

Expert Member
This is horrible. Finally cancelled my landline after being forced to go to the wireless phone. Cell towers go down in a blackout and the phone doesn't work. This make the Telkom phone useless as it was kept as a backup for just when the cell towers go down.

In our area Telkom roam on another network so large data bundles aren't even an option and no fibre available either. There is no way that shifting ADSL users will be a good idea without costing users far more than their ADSL lines.

DYreX146

This is literally the worst idea they've ever had. I understand that ADSL is unreliable and costs more to maintain than LTE but the only thing that should be considered as an alternative to ADSL is Fibre.

Most of the country can't get Fibre yet and I understand that first-hand since I live in KZN, so taking away ADSL and replacing it with LTE that has shoddy coverage will make the experience 10 times worse.

This will also be extremely bad for gamers or anyone that requires a low latency and stable connection, since in my experience, using LTE tripled my latency and was an extremely unreliable connection.

If you are someone that uses a lot of data every month then this will also be terrible for you, as LTE data is way more expensive than ADSL data. Telkom shouldn't be removing ADSL unless they can replace it with Fibre.

Grouter

Expert Member
No fibre, no telkom lte, no telkom 3g in this little town. Telkom roaming only. This will be interesting to watch.

isie

Honorary Master
no it's not. No power = no service which does not happen with a copper line.
:cautious: the wireless is a cell phone - no Eskom power it still works the unit has a battery.
and fibre is exactly the same as ADSL if you have a backup power for your router it will still work and if you never had a backup power for your ADSL router im not sure how can you complain .

Joseph matane

Mybroadband help me i have being waiting for my flla for 8 weeks the courier company is a nightmare, worse part i can't ask for refund because Telkom is responsible

timmy52

Are they going to migrate VDSL customers to fibre.Telkom can just unbundle the local loop and charge companies for using their copper.Telkom LTE is only 10Mbs uncapped but VDSL can go up to 100Mbs

Ozynski

I have not had a phone for over a month. Telkom is a liar and a tyrant.
This new plan will cut me of from frie nds and family as I live in an area of poor reception.
No one has contacted me.