Telkom to provide telecoms infrastructure for 2010 FIFA World Cup

Iwojima

Expert Member
Suprise suprise...it must be wonderful to be a monopoly :rolleyes:

AdLo

Expert Member
Neotel was probably not considered because they don't have a track record.

Alchemist

Expert Member
Well, Telkom better pull its head out of its arse, very quickly. I just hope they actually manage to pull this off, or they will just become more of an embarrassment to this country.

I can just see it now, if Telkom pull it off, government will claim the success was due to the fact that they still partly control Telkom, and it's even more reason for government to have interest in everything. Or, if Telkom fail miserable, government will all blame it on the legacy of Apartheid

quovadis

Executive Member
Here come's the "We're sorry the broadcast of the world cup final was interrupted - 1% or 2% of our ADSL userbase were abusing our network by downloading movies and ruining it for the rest of us"

OR even better adverts like the eskom adverts "The adsl router is red... so please switch off your routers to conserve bandwidth - they're about to have a penalty shootout"

quovadis

Executive Member
IC ;) wait till they tell them they need the unshaped package too lol

Franna

Expert Member
A National Supporter is a tier 3 sponsorship that grants Telkom a package of advertising, promotional and marketing rights that are exercisable within the borders of South Africa.

Does this mean that Telkom will not get paid directly, but can get free advertising?

claytonza

Never mind them actually making use of the cap!

FIFA: We need 10 Data lines installed at the stadium

Telkom: Sorry we are waiting for ports to become available ETA is the 1st of February 2011, have a lovely day.

armitage

Expert Member
Earlier today neotel made this announcement mos.
http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Telecoms/898.html

The cable system is planned to be commissioned and ready for service by early 2009, with construction expected to start later this year. The SEA System has a design capacity of 1.28 Tbps, in order to support the expected exponential increase in demand in 2010 and beyond.

I wouldn't be suprised if reuben got into his BMW/Merc and drove over to FIFA and said "listen here, We want the network. I don't care how much it costs. WE MUST HAVE EXCLUSIVITY"

Inertia

Expert Member
Unfortunate. The fact is though that FIFA would obviously have chosen the best possible choice, and seeing as though Telkom's network is the most superior by far in SA, perhaps it wasnt the worst decision. To be honest with you i would have been a bit more worried if it was awarded to Neotel, as they have no network (that we know of), and no track record. Neotel could be just another Sentech/iburst.

friedpiggy

Expert Member
Man im gonna have a good chuckle when this blows up. imo now would be a good time for mtn or vodacom to get on over to fifa and arrange a similar deal for cellphone supplies. cos they gonna make a killing when Telflop cant install the lines in time.

Alchemist

Expert Member
Telkom waisted no time. Just finished watching Ugly Betty and saw a Telkom ad announcing how their "partnership" with FIFA. They actually had the ad on 2 or 3 times in the space of an hour.