Telkom to roam on Vodacom - can we cancel our Telkom FreeMe contract?

jamjamdave

Hello
I live in an area (former Transkei) where there is only MTN signal. I have a Telkom FreeMe Family Unlimited contract (20 months remaining on contract) which roams on MTN. Apparently Telkom will begin roaming on Vodacom (and stop roaming on MTN) in December which means I will not be able to use my Telkom sims.

Do you think I cancel my Telkom contract? Getting through to Telkom is close to impossible.

thanks!

RedhotNeo

Expert Member
Yes u should be able to cancel without penalty for duration but there might be charge for only device. The reason you can use is that telkom cannot provide service where u live. If they cannot provide u with service, you cannot utilize their network but knowing telkom cancellation problems, you might be in trouble..

best to speak to Telkom now about this and ALSO test with a Vodacom sim to verify you dont have signal in your area. send them the test feedback

airborne

Honorary Master
This is going to be interesting, op I'd prepare yourself for a long tedious journey.

I just hope they don't try burn you on the device side of the contract. Maybe as a cheaper way to get out of the deal is to have the voice/data portion of the contract downgraded to the lowest possible package as a compromise.

Swa

Honorary Master
The MTN agreement only comes to an end in June so rather wait till you're halfway through. I have to say it's a bit disingenuous for Telkom to have you take out a contract knowing they weren't going to provide service for the full period.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
The MTN agreement only comes to an end in June so rather wait till you're halfway through. I have to say it's a bit disingenuous for Telkom to have you take out a contract knowing they weren't going to provide service for the full period.
That's dumb reasoning. How was Telkom to know he lives in an area with no Telkom and Vodacom signal?

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/cell...-contract-cancellation-what-you-will-pay.html

Cancellation is R800 + remaining device fees.

Above is older so might have changed.

Arthur

Honorary Master
I have to say it's a bit disingenuous for Telkom to have you take out a contract knowing they weren't going to provide service for the full period.
Bit of a rush to judgment, in my view. Nothing disingenuous. Just unfortunate for OP and others similarly affected.
How do you know when negotiations with Vodacom began? Do you expect them to inform all sales staff even before the deal is concluded? Btw, such talks are almost always covered by mutual NDAs.

Of course the OP and others affected must be fairly and rightly treated. Hope they will be.

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
That's dumb reasoning. How was Telkom to know he lives in an area with no Telkom and Vodacom signal?

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/cell...-contract-cancellation-what-you-will-pay.html

Cancellation is R800 + remaining device fees.

Above is older so might have changed.
They should know where their coverage is. If they don't it says even more. What is Rica for again?

Bit of a rush to judgment, in my view. Nothing disingenuous. Just unfortunate for OP and others similarly affected.
How do you know when negotiations with Vodacom began? Do you expect them to inform all sales staff even before the deal is concluded? Btw, such talks are almost always covered by mutual NDAs.

Of course the OP and others affected must be fairly and rightly treated. Hope they will be.
Their agreement with MTN is only until June 2019 and Telkom does actually check your coverage before you sign up.

Swa

Honorary Master
That's what SpyGov insists on, not the networks.
I was pointing out to Johnatan56 that if Rica was done they know the area he lives in and whether or not it has coverage.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I was pointing out to Johnatan56 that if Rica was done they know the area he lives in and whether or not it has coverage.
No it doesn't. A phone is a mobile device, how should they know you only use it at home?
Your argument is flawed. The onus is on you to check it, but you can argue lack of service after cancelling.

Swa

Honorary Master
No it doesn't. A phone is a mobile device, how should they know you only use it at home?
Your argument is flawed. The onus is on you to check it, but you can argue lack of service after cancelling.
Erm, Telkom contracts require you to have reception to avoid this very problem. Prepaid is another matter but here they knew there wasn't reception so it likely fell back to MTN reception which they knew was coming to an end come June.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Done as part of the signup procedure. You sign next to it - salesman explained xyz, explained terms, checked coverage, you understand that you have X days to return the device under DOA etc etc
So it's on you to check, right?

Swa

Honorary Master
So it's on you to check, right?
It's actually up to Telkom as part of their process. If you have coverage and their system shows you don't you could convince them to provision at your own risk or game the system with an address that does show coverage. You won't find it in the contract as it comes before the contract.