Telkom Uncapped ADSL: What other ADSL ISPs say

Ono'rach

Executive Member
So in other words, the other ISP's do not feel threatened by Telkom's uncapped offerings.

They are probably breathing a collective sigh of relief. Had Telkom undercut them on pricing and/or had less restrictive shaping and throttling in place then they may have really given the uncapped arena a good shake-up.

Its a bit of a missed opportunity by Telkom in my opinion, but it is at least a step in the right direction...

Saajid

Expert Member
Kinda makes all those who were screaming "unsustainable" look like idiots. WebAfrica, Cybersmart, Telkom, Altech, Vodacom and others come to mind.

VioAdmin

Expert Member
So in other words, the other ISP's do not feel threatened by Telkom's uncapped offerings.

They are probably breathing a collective sigh of relief. Had Telkom undercut them on pricing and/or had less restrictive shaping and throttling in place then they may have really given the uncapped arena a good shake-up.

Its a bit of a missed opportunity by Telkom in my opinion, but it is at least a step in the right direction...
Exactly my thoughts...

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Web Africa’s COO and co-founder Rupert Bryant said that it is good to see that Telkom is bringing some competition to the market, but sent a warning to the local ISP market that they have a few big plans as well.

“We’ve got some exciting things planned ourselves, so they’re going to need to make sure that they keep this up,” said Bryant.
Let's hope that's finally true. I've seen them use that line before :)

AshTV

They should do away with 386kbps and make 1mb/ps the norm. Making it better for everyone and cut the dam line rental price telkom, or i c myself using 8ta 10gb + 10.

But a cheap uncapped would do..

AshTV

Haha yeah so true. Stupid telkom

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Well they can't say anything negative so they all spin some BS line. Interesting to see that the MWeb CEO opted for a political spin line though (job creation).

In truth I think they're all scared...and rightly so. Telkom has everything stacked in their favour with the IPC, last mile, bundling etc. If they make a serious move it would crush a lot of ISPs.

MWEB CEO said:
Uncapped ADSL now the norm for fixed line access
Pretty sure uncapped is now where near capped in terms of subscriber numbers.

nanonyous

Expert Member
They should do away with 386kbps and make 1mb/ps the norm. Making it better for everyone and cut the dam line rental price telkom, or i c myself using 8ta 10gb + 10.

But a cheap uncapped would do..
"Damn you Telkom, make your services cheaper or I'm going to use your other services instead!"

Way to stick it to the man, bro...

Anyway, I can't help but laugh continuously at their pricing... I mean, sure, we have to wait and see how their daytime throttling compares to shaping, but I don't see that justifying paying 4x as much just for their 4mbit uncapped account. You can get an uncapped, unshaped business account from any other service provider for far less than that.

I'm against drugs, but I'd love to smoke whatever the guys at Telkom are smoking, because it seems more magical than purple dragons.

MickeyD

RIP

You don't think that if Telkom had undercut all their competitors that they would have been dragged before the Competition Commission again?

Shayd

Expert Member
Pretty sure uncapped is now where near capped in terms of subscriber numbers.
But I bet in terms of revenue and volume I bet uncapped is kicking capped users skinny little ass. Revenue and volume are what truly large networks are built on, not one guy who just checks his email.

I too welcome this move from Telkom, when more moms' and pops' have been suckered into a shaped AND throttled account it will be a lot easier to move them over to MWEB who only shape.

And those of you who say you don't even notice shaping on Telkoms' network, that is because their volume has remained low relative to their network size. Wait till the network starts getting something resembling a full load then we will get opinions on what paying more money for a 1Mb account that runs at less than 512k feels like.

I am going to laugh when guys jump on here and start complaining that their 384k line is throttled... 384k is pretty bad. Throttling 384k is like putting a governor on a drinking straw.

Last edited:

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Judging by that photograph, Rudi Jansen knows all about all-you-can-eat offers...

Yuu

Expert Member
Good article, i look forward to hearing what WebAfrica has, they snuck that in there hehe. +1 to Telkom :)

LFX

Expert Member
IMHO affordable high cap accounts should have been pushed much more than uncapped at this stage... But it's probably because the price per gig, being as unstable as it is, that they've went with uncapped instead... Because the gap for high cap and uncapped has narrowed down to a point where it certainly makes more business sense to offer uncapped instead... That being said, selling uncapped at a fixed price in the hopes of people not "abusing" the line probably poses less of a risk than selling high capped accounts, with the threat of being undercut. Especially when networks are at a stage of rapid expansion.

That's just the way I see it. I might be completely wrong :)

MickeyD

RIP
IMHO affordable high cap accounts should have been pushed much more than uncapped at this stage... But it's probably because the price per gig, being as unstable as it is, that they've went with uncapped instead... Because the gap for high cap and uncapped has narrowed down to a point where it certainly makes more business sense to offer uncapped instead... That being said, selling uncapped at a fixed price in the hopes of people not "abusing" the line probably poses less of a risk than selling high capped accounts, with the threat of being undercut. Especially when networks are at a stage of rapid expansion.

That's just the way I see it. I might be completely wrong :)
I fully agree with you. Give me an affordable 150Gb capped account and I'll be first to sign up.

Ono'rach

Executive Member
You don't think that if Telkom had undercut all their competitors that they would have been dragged before the Competition Commission again?
Possibly, but I feel its ludicrous that Telkom decided to be more expensive than its competition without any added value that I can see. If they had less restrictive throttling and shaping than everybody else then there slightly inflated prices would make sense.

As it stands, I really don't see any reason whatsoever for a person to choose Telkom over Mweb. Okay, unless they will be making use of the unrestricted local access I suppose...

MickeyD

RIP
Possibly, but I feel its ludicrous that Telkom decided to be more expensive than its competition without any added value that I can see. If they had less restrictive throttling and shaping than everybody else then there slightly inflated prices would make sense.

As it stands, I really don't see any reason whatsoever for a person to choose Telkom over Mweb. Okay, unless they will be making use of the unrestricted local access I suppose...
Baby steps... I'm just glad that they have actually changed their mindset and have joined the uncapped party. Hopefully they will learn and adapt to the market!

ajules

Expert Member

I suspect the performance of their uncapped product might just suprise everyone.As indicated in an earlier post they cannot undercut the competition but their differentiator will be performance.

I could be wrong:)
Only time will tell

bekdik

Honorary Master
This article has some interesting comments about Telkom's uncapped & speeds.

http://www.techcentral.co.za/the-real-reason-telkom-went-uncapped/26353/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+co/UqJF+(TechCentral)

Competition played a role in Telkom’s decision to launch uncapped fixed-line broadband services on Friday. But the main reason it’s going uncapped is that it plans to launch video-on-demand (VOD) services within the next year
He adds that Telkom will increase fixed-line broadband speeds “across the board” to cater for VOD since these services can’t be provided over slower lines. However, he won’t put a timeline to this. Telkom’s entry-level product offers maximum download speeds of 384kbit/s, which is insufficient for VOD.

drukkie

Expert Member
I just ditched my red africa special for uncapped again....
sometimes 130Gb is just not enough