Telkom Uncapped LTE Deal - Is it worth it?

twinghosts

Hi everyone! I've been trying (and oh, how I've been trying...) to organise an internet connection for my place that has a decent speed + decent cap. Both myself and my housemate are students, so needless to say the internet prices have been something of a huge shock to me. ADSL isn't an option (I suspect illegal subdividing) and there's no fibre in town. I saw stumbled across the Telkom uncapped LTE for R399 deal today - is it worth it? I've had no issue with connecting to the internet using my phone data (Cell C) where I live (Grahamstown), but I've no idea exactly what the difference between 4G and LTE is in all honesty.

The deal seems good, but I'm wary of Telkom, to say the least. Obviously the whole "business hours" thing is also a bit of a concern, but I'll be having a chat with an agent about that myself. So...thoughts? Anyone here use their LTE service? An unlimited LTE service? What are your thoughts?

EDIT: Well never mind me! Apparently Telkom LTE isn't even an option here

Last edited:
Reactions: old

"D"

Expert Member
ADSL isn't an option (I suspect illegal subdividing)
VDSL/ADSL may be an option if there is a Telkom line connected to one (or more) of the buildings on the premises at a specific street address, even if that Telkom line is not currently active, but you will have to verify the latest available coverage. Here is the link: https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/ucm/

By the way, there are a number of companies offering uncapped 4G/LTE connectivity, for example: Rain, Axxess, Afrihost, etc.

Arthur

Honorary Master
I've taken the plunge and ordered the June Special SIM-only uncapped LTE till 17h00, for R399/month. Now waiting for the SIM to be delivered. Hopefully all works as advertised.

koogs

I've taken the plunge and ordered the June Special SIM-only uncapped LTE till 17h00, for R399/month. Now waiting for the SIM to be delivered. Hopefully all works as advertised.
Is this a June only offer?

Arthur

Honorary Master
So they say. But I'm sure it's probably still available. Business hours (midnight to 17h00), month-to-month.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Try the Telkom home page. It's one of the scrolling banner options. Not sure if it's there now - I'm mobile at the mo.

johnjm

Expert Member
So they say. But I'm sure it's probably still available. Business hours (midnight to 17h00), month-to-month.
Also ordered it. Or a bad deal if the speeds are as good as my capped LTE from Telkom. Have good coverage and have always had 100mb speeds.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Great. Daily Teams video meetings have been chowing bandwidth and I've twice been capped in June. Hopefully this uncapped LTE solves the problem.

Deandbn

Hi everyone!
I've no idea exactly what the difference between 4G and LTE is in all honesty.
4G was meant to be the successor to 3G however 4G was never implemented in most of the world including SA and instead, LTE which is the Long Term Evolution of 3G is being used currently..
So ultimately, 5G will be the successor to 3G / 3G LTE.. And there will never be a 4G. (verified on Wikipedia)

Read the long detailed description of the exact differences between 3G and 3GLTE and 4G and 5G on Wikipedia.

So it's a bit disingenuous because although most phones these days are probably 4G capable, we will never get to sample 4G at a minimum of 300Mbps.
The best speed I have ever got out of my phone is 100Mbps on LTE (which should be more honestly described as 3G LTE) although more usually my speed is between 30 and 50Mbps.

johnjm

Expert Member
Got a call, should get the sim next week.

Are weekends also limited to the times?

Anyways, wondering how I should link it all up at the house as I have another LTE sim that I use currently. Not going to swap out at midnight etc.

Arthur

Honorary Master
The SIM for the R399 uncapped business hours (midnight to 17h00) June Special was delivered yesterday, but only activated at around 09h00 today.

I popped it into the B618 - which has an external antenna - and quickly discovered in a system query that the service is throughput-capped to 10 mb/s up and down for the first 150 gig, then down to 4 and eventually 2 mb/s. Never knew that when I ordered. Big disappointment.

Ah well. Must be the waai-rus.

Did manage to upload a 3 GB file to the cloud while away for lunch.

The service was meant to stop at 17h01 sharp, according to the User Guide. Was still connected at 17h35 when I shut down the office PC.

I presume it works daily from midnight to 17h00, including weekends. Will use the Scientific Method to confirm that in the next 48 hours.

Fortunately the SIM-only deal is month-to-month, so easily terminated if I become disenchanted.

Edit: Just checked in pfSense and the link is indeed down, as expected. It should resurrect at midnight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yuu

Kiemo

The SIM for the R399 uncapped business hours (midnight to 17h00) June Special was delivered yesterday, but only activated at around 09h00 today.

I popped it into the B618 - which has an external antenna - and quickly discovered in a system query that the service is throughput-capped to 10 mb/s up and down for the first 150 gig, then down to 4 and eventually 2 mb/s. Never knew that when I ordered. Big disappointment.

The service was meant to stop at 17h01 sharp, according to the User Guide. Was still connected at 17h35 when I shut down the office PC.

I presume it works daily from midnight to 17h00, including weekends. Will use the Scientific Method to confirm that in the next 48 hours.

Fortunately the SIM-only deal is month-to-month, so easily terminated if I become disenchanted.

Edit: Just checked in pfSense and the link is indeed down, as expected. It should resurrect at midnight.
Thank you for this information

Arthur

Honorary Master
Here's the Bundle List on the new SIM. Apols for lousy pic but quick snap 'n snip on mobile:

Screenshot_20200710-223852~2.png

Reactions: Yuu

johnjm

Expert Member

Yeah, I cancelled my order as they didn't state it. It's basically the contract smart broadband uncapped.business.

Customer1

Called it:

It looks like the June deal is the same as the normal business hours, just a couple of bucks less per month. I'd be very surprised if the FUP is not the same.
Unfortunately shared services will always need to have some form of limitation because people tend to abuse everything to get their money worth and there is only so much bandwidth and spectrum going around.

old

Hi everyone! I've been trying (and oh, how I've been trying...) to organise an internet connection for my place that has a decent speed + decent cap. Both myself and my housemate are students, so needless to say the internet prices have been something of a huge shock to me. ADSL isn't an option (I suspect illegal subdividing) and there's no fibre in town. I saw stumbled across the Telkom uncapped LTE for R399 deal today - is it worth it? I've had no issue with connecting to the internet using my phone data (Cell C) where I live (Grahamstown), but I've no idea exactly what the difference between 4G and LTE is in all honesty.

The deal seems good, but I'm wary of Telkom, to say the least. Obviously the whole "business hours" thing is also a bit of a concern, but I'll be having a chat with an agent about that myself. So...thoughts? Anyone here use their LTE service? An unlimited LTE service? What are your thoughts?

EDIT: Well never mind me! Apparently Telkom LTE isn't even an option here
I use Telkom Prepaid LTE with a Huawei mobile router in Surrey Estate, Cape Town...No problem with speed nor connection and 100% uptime.

I tested RAIN 4-G MOBILE Data SIM and without being rude or disrespectful to RAIN and for your own sanity, I would not recommend RAIN MOBILE DATA SIM.

.. Slow network speed
.. Continuous drop line
.. No appreciable customer service (like in no action, no feedback, no follow up)

In short not trustworthy.

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
I use Telkom Prepaid LTE with a Huawei mobile router in Surrey Estate, Cape Town...No problem with speed nor connection and 100% uptime.

I tested RAIN 4-G MOBILE Data SIM and without being rude or disrespectful to RAIN and for your own sanity, I would not recommend RAIN MOBILE DATA SIM.

.. Slow network speed
.. Continuous drop line
.. No appreciable customer service (like in no action, no feedback, no follow up)

In short not trustworthy.
im also in that area and there is fibre being laid

R399 a month

check mweb

i also tried rain one day and it didnt work. Have a test sim will try it and see if any difference

Reactions: old