• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Telkom Uncapped LTE Deal - My Trials So Far...

Pakka

Expert Member
Hi guys,

I'm considering getting uncapped LTE.

Can someone please tell me:
1. What is the FUP (how much can one download before being throttled)?
2. Do VPNs work at a decent speed?

Thanks

Pakka

Expert Member
Anyone want to buy out my contract? As in go to the Telkom store to transfer ownership and payments etc. I'm emigrating. Don't have the Poynting antenna.

It runs to Feb or March 2018. R599 pm
Does Telkom cater for such a scenario?
Where do you live?

adielk

Expert Member
Hi guys,

I'm considering getting uncapped LTE.

Can someone please tell me:
1. What is the FUP (how much can one download before being throttled)?
2. Do VPNs work at a decent speed?

Thanks
AUP/FUP is 300Gb - I use it for netflix in SD (in HD it required 600Gb) and normal social media, browsing etc.

For torrenting you get a separate limit - 50Gb I think?

martin

Expert Member
I'm about ready to cancel my Uncapped LTE. I'm being shaped to oblivion. My connection speed has improved some more. I'm getting close to 30Mbps down and 10Mbps+ up now and its still mostly useless for anything International. I've got the Ferrari of internet connections here, no shortage of power but zero boot space.

Last edited:

AadilG

I got my invoice for this month and I can confirm it says R525.50

I did get an SMS earlier saying that I will need to pay R729, like everyone else

The total is R525 , i was charge 50c for a message i sent

Last edited:

martin

Expert Member
Apologies in advance, I sound like a broken record at this stage but the shaping of this product (on what I suspect is a per tower basis) is leaving me more and more frustrated. My down/up speed is better than ever. Multiple local and international speed tests conducted using three different services over the past week confirm this. No complaints there but I'm now struggling to stream Showmax on it's lowest quality settings! International streams and sites have been problematic for a while now but having Showmax buffering on a 25Mpbs connection last night is just doing my head in.

Has anyone here cancelled? Would appreciate any advice on the contacts and correct procedure.

Lament

Executive Member
Apologies in advance, I sound like a broken record at this stage but the shaping of this product (on what I suspect is a per tower basis) is leaving me more and more frustrated. My down/up speed is better than ever. Multiple local and international speed tests conducted using three different services over the past week confirm this. No complaints there but I'm now struggling to stream Showmax on it's lowest quality settings! International streams and sites have been problematic for a while now but having Showmax buffering on a 25Mpbs connection last night is just doing my head in.

Has anyone here cancelled? Would appreciate any advice on the contacts and correct procedure.
If its any consolation, I'm on RAIN and getting speeds of 40mbps+, yet KODI buffers, i have to go through probably 40 diffrent streams to find one thats watchable.

SFW007

Expert Member

Why not maybe sell it to a mybb forumite if it's the 599 deal

FlashSA

Executive Member
I have 3 of these (with a 4th soon from a fellow forumite).

The one at my office allows me to pull torrents at over 4MBps during working hours - Youtube starts playing at 1080 and all other services flawless.

Nr 2 of 3 is at home. I have been binge watching Narcos S3 on Netflix - Roku starts playing in 480 and ramps up to 1080 within 20 seconds of watching. Quality never drops. This is usually between 7:30pm and 10pm

I have no complaints here in Slummies

martin

Expert Member
Why not maybe sell it to a mybb forumite if it's the 599 deal
I've already received a PM asking me about this. My reply is below:

1. No one seems to have confirmed whether a transfer of ownership is actually possible to do
2. If it is possible I don't think I trust Telkom enough to not screw up the billing anyway. I've had hassles with billing on just about every Telkom contract I've ever signed (ADSL, Telkom Mobile and a previous fixed-cap LTE contract)

Given the above (especially point 2), I'd be very hesitant to put any effort into something like this.

Pho3nix

The Legend
I've already received a PM asking me about this. My reply is below:

1. No one seems to have confirmed whether a transfer of ownership is actually possible to do
2. If it is possible I don't think I trust Telkom enough to not screw up the billing anyway. I've had hassles with billing on just about every Telkom contract I've ever signed (ADSL, Telkom Mobile and a previous fixed-cap LTE contract)

Given the above (especially point 2), I'd be very hesitant to put any effort into something like this.
I have successfully transferred the contract. Haven't been billed for the service since I moved it over.

martin

Expert Member
If its any consolation, I'm on RAIN and getting speeds of 40mbps+, yet KODI buffers, i have to go through probably 40 diffrent streams to find one thats watchable.
Haven't tried Kodi in a while but heard the majority of sources are problematic these days. Have you tested on RAIN on other international streams besides Kodi (Youtube wouldn't be an option as they have local servers)?

Lament

Executive Member
Haven't tried Kodi in a while but heard the majority of sources are problematic these days. Have you tested on RAIN on other international streams besides Kodi (Youtube wouldn't be an option as they have local servers)?
Besides Youtube, nope. If you have any other stream links, let me know and i will test for you tonight.

martin

Expert Member
Besides Youtube, nope. If you have any other stream links, let me know and i will test for you tonight.
I *think* Twitch TV may be an option. I doubt they have a local presence. Difficult to say these days with CDN's probably also skewing results.