Telkom Uncapped LTE Deal - My Trials So Far...

DevonBritton

Maybe a sim swop required.
Tested the SIM in another router before doing a SIM swap. Same issue.

Then I used LTEWatch to check the signal and found the issue. I've tried with the popsicle stick antennas and my external (on 2 different LTE routers and a MiFi device) and I can't get an RSRP of higher than -92Dbm and my SINR won't go higher than 1, regardless of where I point the antenna. There are 2 towers in my area. What are the odds of the storm on the weekend damaging BOTH of them??

And if that's the case (I assume?) then how can Telkom tell me there are no connectivity issues in the area??

~sigh~ This is driving me nuts because I work from home and my data costs for using my phone as a hotspot are sky high!!!

Anyone know of any way I can push Telkom?? Or must I just suck it up and wait??

On a final note, does anyone know if upgrading to a B618 will benefit me in terms of speed? Does it use a differnt band that is less congested maybe?? I'm right on the very edge of Telkom's LTE-A area and I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to just upgrade?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Tested the SIM in another router before doing a SIM swap. Same issue.

Then I used LTEWatch to check the signal and found the issue. I've tried with the popsicle stick antennas and my external (on 2 different LTE routers and a MiFi device) and I can't get an RSRP of higher than -92Dbm and my SINR won't go higher than 1, regardless of where I point the antenna. There are 2 towers in my area. What are the odds of the storm on the weekend damaging BOTH of them??

And if that's the case (I assume?) then how can Telkom tell me there are no connectivity issues in the area??

~sigh~ This is driving me nuts because I work from home and my data costs for using my phone as a hotspot are sky high!!!

Anyone know of any way I can push Telkom?? Or must I just suck it up and wait??

On a final note, does anyone know if upgrading to a B618 will benefit me in terms of speed? Does it use a differnt band that is less congested maybe?? I'm right on the very edge of Telkom's LTE-A area and I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to just upgrade?

Couple of things to go through. Have you been throttled? What apn are you using? Are you forcing a specific LTE band? Did you try 3G fall back?

Try switching between the "internet" apn and "unrestricted" apn.

Try switching between band 3 (1800MHz) and band 40 (2300MHz)

If that fails try forcing 3G and see what happens.

Is the cellphone number suspended due non payment or other issues?

Have you been throttled for reaching AUP?

Just a couple of things to run through.

DevonBritton

Couple of things to go through. Have you been throttled? What apn are you using? Are you forcing a specific LTE band? Did you try 3G fall back?

Try switching between the "internet" apn and "unrestricted" apn.

Try switching between band 3 (1800MHz) and band 40 (2300MHz)

If that fails try forcing 3G and see what happens.

Is the cellphone number suspended due non payment or other issues?

Have you been throttled for reaching AUP?

Just a couple of things to run through.
Thanks for the reply. Speeds were better this morning so hopefully somehting has been sorted their side. WIll test again when I get home tonight.

To answer your questions...

I tried the unrestricted apn.
I've tried forcing both 1800 and 2300 bands and using the "4G only" option as well.
Haven't tried forcing 3G.
No issues with payment or throttling.

Thanks again...

AadilG

Hi Guys

i used to get proper 4g signal both on my phone and my wireless , since the weekend the signal has dropped to Edge only. this looks like its only an issue in my street.

any idea what i can do ?

JOEY_8

Hi Guys

i used to get proper 4g signal both on my phone and my wireless , since the weekend the signal has dropped to Edge only. this looks like its only an issue in my street.

any idea what i can do ?
Have you tried setting it to 4G only?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Hi Guys

any idea what i can do ?
If it's EDGE only then it could be a tower outage. Try doing a manual network search and see if you get Telkom network with 4G Available. If not it's probably a tower that is down.

AadilG

If it's EDGE only then it could be a tower outage. Try doing a manual network search and see if you get Telkom network with 4G Available. If not it's probably a tower that is down.
Tower Outage, found technicians there.

Hopefully should be up and running by tomorrow