Telkom Uncapped LTE Deal - My Trials So Far...

ebrahim786

Make sure that you get the 65d model, and not the 22d.
What would be the difference between the B618 22d and 65d. Currently using the 22d which connects to the Telkom 4G+ network and I’m getting around 87Mbps max... would the 65d benefit me in anyway? Thanks

dotcat

What would be the difference between the B618 22d and 65d. Currently using the 22d which connects to the Telkom 4G+ network and I’m getting around 87Mbps max... would the 65d benefit me in anyway? Thanks
That means it is aggernating 1800 and 2100. If you get the 65D it will be able to use the 2300 band with potential for over 100...

ripclaw

I don’t recall offhand, but there’s been numerous posts by @cavedog.

cavedog

Honorary Master
the -22d model does not Support band 40 at all. The 65d does and that is what I'm using to get the speeds I do get now.

Terumo

Does anyone know where to buy the -65d version? Also need the TS9 to SMA adapters as i use an Xpol 006

ebrahim786

the -22d model does not Support band 40 at all. The 65d does and that is what I'm using to get the speeds I do get now.
Thanks, need to shop around and get the 65D wondering what would be the speed diff? If only I could confirm those faster speeds.... I’d grab the router asap

Ultimate_Lurker

Thanks for the tip!
TS9 to SMA - Takealot

^This. I've been doing this for some time and it worked really well.
I have 3 rain sim cards. I only used the data in the initial 1 month all hours free data. Speeds were decent but could not compete with the Telkom LTE service. Maybe I should give it a go and see how the Rain network performs a year later.
I was never soft capped on my Telkom LTE( April 2016 to May 2019). I had full speed usage right up to months end. But lately the softcap is being enforced on my sim. My current usage is over 200gb and its still half a month to go.

ahmed

I have a Huawei B618-65D router that I purchased from a Telkom store.

Used it for two to three days, and then placed it back in its box/packaging; it's virtually brand new.

If anyone is interested in purchasing it send me a PM. I am based in JHB.

Super_Sonic

I have a Huawei B618-65D router that I purchased from a Telkom store.

Used it for two to three days, and then placed it back in its box/packaging; it's virtually brand new.

If anyone is interested in purchasing it send me a PM. I am based in JHB.
what signal were you getting on what network ? you don't want the router cause you got bad signal?

ahmed

what signal were you getting on what network ? you don't want the router cause you got bad signal?
I am using a Huawei B525-65D currently with an XPOL 06 on the Telkom network.
The B525-65D uses the SMA connector type for the external antenna which works fine with my XPOL 06 antenna cable.

I want to sell the the B618-65D because my Telkom Mobile signal is poor without the XPOL 06 external antenna,
and I am happy with my current setup with the B525-65D router and XPOL 06 antenna, and I dislike the TS9 connectors.

Leno

I am using a Huawei B525-65D currently with an XPOL 06 on
I want to sell the the B618-65D because my Telkom Mobile signal is poor without the XPOL 06 external antenna,
and I am happy with my current setup with the B525-65D router and XPOL 06 antenna, and I dislike the TS9 connectors.
I also find the same thing, I thought it was because of bad quality TS9 converters i got

On another note my signal has gone down drastically since I got the contract, used to get about 25/27db snr , now about 12db

I have clear line of sight to the telkom exchange about 500m away, and I think as they bring up the smaller towers they reduce the large towers power to stop interference, @cavedog what do you think?

We have a telkom tower on our roof of our building but AFAIK its only 1800mhz as it uses microwave backhaul which cant be too large. The signal also probably overshoots us

cavedog

Honorary Master
you are so lucky!!! how long did it take to download 3 Gigs at 19.2 MB/s
Like 2min or so.

This was on a prepaid with 450GB night surfer bundle at R59. Basically just to show that Telkom does not discriminate prepaid and contract. Very nice to know.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I also find the same thing, I thought it was because of bad quality TS9 converters i got

On another note my signal has gone down drastically since I got the contract, used to get about 25/27db snr , now about 12db

I have clear line of sight to the telkom exchange about 500m away, and I think as they bring up the smaller towers they reduce the large towers power to stop interference, @cavedog what do you think?

We have a telkom tower on our roof of our building but AFAIK its only 1800mhz as it uses microwave backhaul which cant be too large. The signal also probably overshoots us
Could be. I connect to a small green tower. The tower was maxing at 93Mbps or so before. It was down just short of two months actually then suddenly it started working again and with increased speeds. Yesterday it was peaking to just short of 200Mbps which nice to see. Surrounded by fibre in the whole subburb and I also got a 200Mbps fibre line I guess the tower is not being utilized at all.

The power output of this tower is way weaker than the big towers and I think they are there to densify coverage and increase speeds.

Could be that you are facing a similar situation or maybe something is interfering hence the drop in SNIR. I don't you should be worried about 12dB SINR though. It's still very acceptable.

Terumo

How is the 525 vs the B618 65d? Any idea?
I got the B525-65a today for my brother replacing his 315 with an xpol 06 and his download speed went from 15 to 48, latency also more stable as he plays wow and FF online.

I'm gonna try the 525 too as i'm testing cell c on my 315 and its shite, can't even reach 8mbps :(