Telkom Uncapped LTE Deal - My Trials So Far...

xeslaro

Expert Member
anyone able to decode this tracert?

tracert amazon.JPG

EDIT: If I use Opera browser with VPN turned on, I have no issue accessing Amazon. Yet, on my phone, Laptop or tablet using chrome, brave, MS Edge or Safari browers, I hit a brick wall.

xeslaro

Expert Member
Traffic going DUR to CPT peering so local. You latency has jitter which probably means some tower congestion or signal noise.
I only have issues with some websites, amazon as an example. speedtest.net will not even load....yet mybb speedtest i have consistent 40mbs and 24 pings.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Yeah it's a DNS issue. Even if you force the dns in the router it won't always work you need to force the dns kn the device too and check if the dns is set right by doing a dns leak test on ipleak.net for example.

ebrahim786

Ok thx for feedback. My DStv also working now. But speedtest and Amazon still down.
I have an ExpressVPN subscription and amazon works perfectly when using the vpn. Otherwise both amazon and Speedtest down. I also have a Telkom mobile cell contract and it’s also down when using cell data. At least dstv now is working perfectly again. Will try the dns solutions mentioned above if it persists. Please post if you find a fix.

ebrahim786

I have an ExpressVPN subscription and amazon works perfectly when using the vpn. Otherwise both amazon and Speedtest down. I also have a Telkom mobile cell contract and it’s also down when using cell data. At least dstv now is working perfectly again. Will try the dns solutions mentioned above if it persists. Please post if you find a fix.
Vpn worked via safari. Never test with other browsers.

xeslaro

Expert Member
Vpn worked via safari. Never test with other browsers.
Same my side. If I use Tor or Brave browser with VPN, all works perfectly. I've changed DNS on router and laptop, but that doesn't make a difference using normal browser.

Customer1

So I don't know what Telkom did, but I had a massive speed increase the last week. Peak speeds increased from ~12Mbit to 50Mbit and offpeak speeds increased from ~20-30Mbit back to ~70Mbit.

Uncapped LTE worth it again :) (This is on a plain B315 Router in Centurion Area)

AlexFl

Wish Telkom would do the same here (Auckland Park area, Jhb). I suspect their infrastructure is being sucked dry by the varsity students around here. Been a less than inspiring performance for about 3yrs.

Super_Sonic

So I don't know what Telkom did, but I had a massive speed increase the last week. Peak speeds increased from ~12Mbit to 50Mbit and offpeak speeds increased from ~20-30Mbit back to ~70Mbit.

Uncapped LTE worth it again :) (This is on a plain B315 Router in Centurion Area)
Signal Stats ?

RSRP - ??
RSRQ - ??
RSSI - ??
SINR - ??

RVR

Expert Member
Hey guys, I bought a new phone and usually I just take my telkom sim and use it on my mobile when loadshedding occurs.

Unfortunately I'm unable to do this anymore because the new phone takes a small size sim card

Would it be possible to get another sim with the same number? So one sim can be in the router and the other on my new phone if i need to go out etc or use it when I have no Power.

biometrics

Honorary Master
Hey guys, I bought a new phone and usually I just take my telkom sim and use it on my mobile when loadshedding occurs.

Unfortunately I'm unable to do this anymore because the new phone takes a small size sim card

Would it be possible to get another sim with the same number? So one sim can be in the router and the other on my new phone if i need to go out etc or use it when I have no Power.
Doubt it on the uncapped deal, but I don't know.

On Smartbroadband Wireless, i.e. capped, you can get up to 10 sims for the same data bundle. It's called Multi-sim and costs R10/month per sim. I have a few.

Awesum

Expert Member

You can do a SIM swap and use the SIM in your phone and router using the 'adapter'.

AlexFl

Tried this last year. Can't use 2 sims simultaneously or have 2 sims activated simultaneously. Any activation of a 2nd sim renders the first obsolete. As mentioned, you can get one sim and an adaptor allowing you to use that one sim in one device or another. (The above applies to the uncapped package)

RVR

Expert Member
So basically get another sim card, do a sim swap then use that sim with the "adapter"?

Just want to know if I understand it right :D