Telkom Uncapped LTE Deal - My Trials So Far...

Customer1

I'm currently on the Smartbroadband mywireless 50+50, which gets doubled for R755 a month. I frequently hit this limit with game updates and netflix streaming and other "buffered streaming". My contract is ending this month and was wondering if moving to uncapped LTE would be worthwhile even with the 10Mb/s speed starting out. I'm looking at WebAfrica as well, but I can't see what the advantage of moving to them would be.
The current variant of Telkoms's Uncapped LTE gets throttled to 4Mbit after 150GB and then 2Mbit after 300Gb (I speak under correction). If you can live with those restrictions, then I don't see why not.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I'm currently on the Smartbroadband mywireless 50+50, which gets doubled for R755 a month. I frequently hit this limit with game updates and netflix streaming and other "buffered streaming". My contract is ending this month and was wondering if moving to uncapped LTE would be worthwhile even with the 10Mb/s speed starting out. I'm looking at WebAfrica as well, but I can't see what the advantage of moving to them would be.
I would go for the Webafrica deal because for 1 it's month to month so if it doesn't work for you you can get out pretty easy. If you get it through Telkom it's a 24 month contract.

hypa456

Does anyone own Need For Speed Payback? and can you play online? I spoke to EA people and they state that I cannot connect to their servers due to "My ISP". but I doubt that, but also, then again, it is Telkom lol

kianm

Honorary Master
Does anyone own Need For Speed Payback? and can you play online? I spoke to EA people and they state that I cannot connect to their servers due to "My ISP". but I doubt that, but also, then again, it is Telkom lol
Another method is maybe to try load a small bundle on another network's sim and hotspot to test. I have NFS but not specifically Payback

hypa456

Another method is maybe to try load a small bundle on another network's sim and hotspot to test. I have NFS but not specifically Payback
Unfortunately I do not have another sim that will fit the router, only nano-sims in the house and none micros. Thanks though, will try make plan.

hypa456

I have figured it out, the connection issue is resolved when I change the network to the 1800Mhz and does not connect the game on the 2300mhz network, which is weird.

ProAsm

Expert Member
I found that the 1800 mhz is better for gaming as the upload speed is twice as good as on the 2300 mhz.
With gaming you are sending more info to the server than what you are receiving.

hypa456

I found that the 1800 mhz is better for gaming as the upload speed is twice as good as on the 2300 mhz.
With gaming you are sending more info to the server than what you are receiving.
Is true, I stream on the 1800 due to that, but strange that it only works on that network. Irritating to switch every time lol

Evo1ve

There's no Rain LTE coverage for me :cautious:

How much data can you guys download on the uncapped LTE deal?
I am consider going with Telkom LTE.

550GB per month?

ghostim

Expert Member
There's no Rain LTE coverage for me :cautious:

How much data can you guys download on the uncapped LTE deal?
I am consider going with Telkom LTE.

550GB per month?
The old uncapped is 300GB per month before throttling.

The new uncapped:
  • 150GB data @ 10Mbps
  • Thereafter 50GB data @ 4Mbps
  • Thereafter 2Mbps uncapped data rest of month

Awesum

Expert Member
I put the sim in my Dual SIM Note9 but it won't connect. I can get full signal but no data throughput.
Any idea how I can get it working?

rodga

Executive Member
Hi guys
So im finally gonna install my external antenna (After 4 years I think!)

Just a quick question regarding cell towers. I have a few in my area, all within 3km from me. Each tower is marked with either telkom, mtn or cell c. What are the chances that they are sharing towers? As I have direct line of sight to the one mtn tower?

cavedog

Honorary Master
I tried everything, even using it in an iPhone 6s.
Well it should work. Some simcards do not work on 3G but mine works on 4G,3G and 2G and when I set the apn to internet or unrestricted it works fine. I can even make calls from it by loading voice bundles on it or just let the calls go as an addon to the bill. Simcard is not restricted to a tower or to a device.

Hi guys
So im finally gonna install my external antenna (After 4 years I think!)

Just a quick question regarding cell towers. I have a few in my area, all within 3km from me. Each tower is marked with either telkom, mtn or cell c. What are the chances that they are sharing towers? As I have direct line of sight to the one mtn tower?
Yes they do share towers. There are very few towers that are for a specific network only and you can see that by the sector antennas. 3 antennas on the height in a 360 is for 1 network. Then you will see below them are more antennas then you know the tower has more than one network. If you can see into the base of the tower you can also count the cabinets to see how many networks as each network has their own cabinet.

Most Telkom uses the flat shorter sector antennas but new ones have changed. You can look for these in most(not all) cases to identify a Telkom tower.

See tower pic below. The flat square like antennas is Telkom. The other is from other networks. Lots of black cables plugged into the bottom is also a very good sign. Means the tower probably has 4x4 mimo and 4G+ and multiple frequencies.

cavedog

Honorary Master
On a side note have you guys seen the new Smart Voice addons for these packages?

R220 for uncapped local voice.

This is what you get

This is what you pay as an addon.