Telkom Uncapped LTE Deal - My Trials So Far...

Porsche Driver

No I doubt that would do anything. You should align your antenna better. If you are 800m from the tower and using an antenna then something is wrong because those stats does not look like 800m away from tower with antenna stats. Can you see the tower from the point the antenna is mounted? If yes then I doubt that is the tower you are connecting too.
I have aligned and re-aligned the antenna and those were the best signal stats i could obtain.

Yes, i can see the tower from the point where my external antenna is mounted.
Though about 100m away from where the antenna is mounted there are two trees which slightly block the view of the Telkom tower.

I have confirmed with Telkom (based on the Cell ID) the tower I am connecting to;
it is around 800m away from my physical location.

Is there anything else I can try and do to improve my signal ?

cavedog

Honorary Master
I have aligned and re-aligned the antenna and those were the best signal stats i could obtain.

Yes, i can see the tower from the point where my external antenna is mounted.
Though about 100m away from where the antenna is mounted there are two trees which slightly block the view of the Telkom tower.

I have confirmed with Telkom (based on the Cell ID) the tower I am connecting to;
it is around 800m away from my physical location.

Is there anything else I can try and do to improve my signal ?
Well the signal isn't bad are you seeing slow speeds?

ProAsm

Expert Member
As cavedog says, better signal does not always mean better speed.
If I turn my antenna directly to the tower, I get RSRP -66 dBm but speeds are 18 Mbps on 2300 mhz.
I swing the antenna away from the tower (about 30 degrees) for the best SINR of around 24 dB and my speeds go up to 40 Mbps.
During peak time I switch to 2100 mhz for best speeds as the 2300 takes a nose dive to around 10 Mbps and less regardless of where the antenna is :)

Porsche Driver

Well the signal isn't bad are you seeing slow speeds?
Yes, slow speeds at my home location:

4G+ on the 2300Mhz band = 15Mbps down, 7 up

4G on the 1800Mhz band = 10Mbps down, 12 up

Drove to the Telkom mobile tower and did speed tests in my car, which I parked about 100m away from the tower, yielded 90Mbps down, and 13 up.

Porsche Driver

As cavedog says, better signal does not always mean better speed.
If I turn my antenna directly to the tower, I get RSRP -66 dBm but speeds are 18 Mbps on 2300 mhz.
I swing the antenna away from the tower (about 30 degrees) for the best SINR of around 24 dB and my speeds go up to 40 Mbps.
During peak time I switch to 2100 mhz for best speeds as the 2300 takes a nose dive to around 10 Mbps and less regardless of where the antenna is :)

Thank you for this tip - aim for the best SINR, and not RSRP

Out of interest what does your RSRP fall to when aiming the antenna 30 degrees away to get the 24dB SINR level ?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Yes, slow speeds at my home location:

4G+ on the 2300Mhz band = 15Mbps down, 7 up

4G on the 1800Mhz band = 10Mbps down, 12 up

Drove to the Telkom mobile tower and did speed tests in my car, which I parked about 100m away from the tower, yielded 90Mbps down, and 13 up.
You confirmed that the cell id is still the same. With the signal stats you have there is no way it will slow from 90 to 15. Something else at play here. Different tower likely or router or something.

Porsche Driver

You confirmed that the cell id is still the same. With the signal stats you have there is no way it will slow from 90 to 15. Something else at play here. Different tower likely or router or something.
Yes, confirmed 100% that the cell id is exactly the same (i.e. same Telkom tower).
And the cell sector on the tower was also the same.

I used the very same router which is a Huawei B525s-65a set to the 2300Mhz band.

ProAsm

Expert Member
Thank you for this tip - aim for the best SINR, and not RSRP

Out of interest what does your RSRP fall to when aiming the antenna 30 degrees away to get the 24dB SINR level ?
About -74 dBm.
I have a rotator on my antenna so swinging it around is easy :)

lterot.jpg

cavedog

Honorary Master
So December 2019 I would have my uncapped deal for 4 years.... :D 4 years and not 1 ISP could beat this price. Not only that I still have the original Antenna and B315 that came with the deal still working well. The antenna is a bit yellow not white anymore because of the sun but hey still working.

Anyone still on the original R599 deal? Now that ADSL is slowly dying a lot of people would have liked this deal.

FlashSA

Executive Member
So December 2019 I would have my uncapped deal for 4 years.... :D 4 years and not 1 ISP could beat this price. Not only that I still have the original Antenna and B315 that came with the deal still working well. The antenna is a bit yellow not white anymore because of the sun but hey still working.

Anyone still on the original R599 deal? Now that ADSL is slowly dying a lot of people would have liked this deal.

View attachment 723770
Still have 3 of the R599's (R53x) and a 4th which I took over from a fellow myBB'er who emigrated. Will most definitely keep all 4 going indefinitely as all 4 sites where I run these do not have fibre as yet