Telkom Uncapped LTE Deal - My Trials So Far...

Customer1

Got an email from Telkom today:
"Your LTE contract is due for upgrade. Upgrade now and get 440GB per month for only R999 per month!"

It's definitely an upgrade, an upgrade in price! R999 vs R529, I'm good thanks.
On an unrelated note. Really good speeds for a Friday night.

Ping: 18ms
Download: 69.58Mbps
Upload: 9.22Mbps

Last edited:

hypa456

"Your LTE contract is due for upgrade. Upgrade now and get 440GB per month for only R999 per month!"
yeah they can keep their upgrade lol Until they can offer 200mbs with 1tb FUP or true uncapped for 999 then I would xD

AntiThesis

Executive Member

It's definitely an upgrade, an upgrade in price! R999 vs R529, I'm good thanks.
On an unrelated note. Really good speeds for a Friday night.

Ping: 18ms
Download: 69.58Mbps
Upload: 9.22Mbps
I expressly hate you right now. Are you on LTE-A then?

I just ignore those upgrade messages. Telkom do tell me that they cannot guarantee service quality if I don't upgrade. Funny since they don't guarantee it now anyway :laugh:

Customer1

I expressly hate you right now. Are you on LTE-A then?

I just ignore those upgrade messages. Telkom do tell me that they cannot guarantee service quality if I don't upgrade. Funny since they don't guarantee it now anyway :laugh:
I'm on the original R599 Uncapped product from Telkom. The upgrade they offer is terrible compared to this. 220GB day + 220GB night for 1k a month vs R529 for 350GB (then throttled) anytime data. It's not even close.

I'm on LTE-A. Back in the day, I managed to get 90Mbit out of a B315 but those days are long gone so I bought a B618 which now gives me anything between 25-80Mbit depending on the time and day. (Use 1800+2100)

I'll keep this month to month contract as long as I can since there is nothing better (price-wise) in my area.

ebrahim786

Referring to the original deal as per forum topic. Is the sim still locked onto the tower (as we the original promotion rules) or has the rule since lapsed and you can use it anywhere (obviously assuming Telkom SA coverage and not roaming)? Thanks

cavedog

Honorary Master
Referring to the original deal as per forum topic. Is the sim still locked onto the tower (as we the original promotion rules) or has the rule since lapsed and you can use it anywhere (obviously assuming Telkom SA coverage and not roaming)? Thanks
Never enforced although sold as tower locked. So much have changed though. The original deal had no FUP except for the 50GB p2p data. Then people started pushing terrabytes of data and Telkom enforced the 200GB FUP or something like that and then a MAJOR backlash from users calling into Talk radio stations like Cape Talk and 702 as well as Wendy on ECR and Telkom amended these to 300GB 4Mbps and then 350GB 2Mbps until month end. The 50GB p2p still stayed the same.

Since then the deal has been unchanged so that is where it is at now and Telkom still harass people saying the deal is ending, it will be cancelled, bandwidth can't be guaranteed ect ect as a ploy to stop people from using it.

ebrahim786

Never enforced although sold as tower locked. So much have changed though. The original deal had no FUP except for the 50GB p2p data. Then people started pushing terrabytes of data and Telkom enforced the 200GB FUP or something like that and then a MAJOR backlash from users calling into Talk radio stations like Cape Talk and 702 as well as Wendy on ECR and Telkom amended these to 300GB 4Mbps and then 350GB 2Mbps until month end. The 50GB p2p still stayed the same.

Since then the deal has been unchanged so that is where it is at now and Telkom still harass people saying the deal is ending, it will be cancelled, bandwidth can't be guaranteed ect ect as a ploy to stop people from using it.
Thanks... never knew it wasn’t enforced.

Customer1

Same here! Just before midnight it seems
Interesting. Does this happen after loadshedding or was it a once-off?

If so, I seem to have a similar situation. After loadshedding my LTE is always slow 1-2Mbit (not high pings though) for about 1-2 hours then goes back to normal speeds.

Maybe some links go down during this time? I guessing here.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Interesting. Does this happen after loadshedding or was it a once-off?

If so, I seem to have a similar situation. After loadshedding my LTE is always slow 1-2Mbit (not high pings though) for about 1-2 hours then goes back to normal speeds.

Maybe some links go down during this time? I guessing here.
Or people coming online after loadshedding?