Telkom Uncapped LTE Deal - My Trials So Far...

FlashSA

Executive Member
hmmmm, so is it better to use the internet apn or unrestricted apn? Does it really matter?
Well for one thing, you cannot open ports for a cctv dvr or a remote desktop client sitting behind a router using the internet apn. Hence all my sites are running the unrestricted apn because they have cctv..

scud

Expert Member
So I still have my original lte + router deal , 5 or so years old ,invoiced as SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless 1 Deal for R538 pm

But my in-laws have used it the past few years.
So my question , is it sill a good deal ?

And does anyone know what the latest FUP is on this ?

FlashSA

Executive Member
So I still have my original lte + router deal , 5 or so years old ,invoiced as SmartBroadband Uncapped Wireless 1 Deal for R538 pm

But my in-laws have used it the past few years.
So my question , is it sill a good deal ?

And does anyone know what the latest FUP is on this ?
FUP still 300GB before throttling. Best bang for buck deal on the market still to this day. We have all 4 still rocking 4 sites

scud

Expert Member
FUP still 300GB before throttling. Best bang for buck deal on the market still to this day. We have all 4 still rocking 4 sites

Wow, that’s good news , but it’s also just damn weird

So after 300GB what happens , is it always usable or does it hard cap at some point ?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Wow, that’s good news , but it’s also just damn weird

So after 300GB what happens , is it always usable or does it hard cap at some point ?

300GB unthrottled all access and 50GB p2p. Then you get the next 50GB at 4Mbps. Then after that 2Mbps for the rest of the month.

0GB-300GB - Uncapped speeds
300GB - 350GB - 4Mbps capped speeds
350GB+ - 2Mbps until; end of the month.

You can always buy extra data to remove the speed cap. You can also load the R149 - 150GB Nightsurfer bundle.

If you look at Telkoms capped LTE deals the 220+220GB is priced at R999 from ISPs so this uncapped deal is still the best value for money deal.

scud

Expert Member
300GB unthrottled all access and 50GB p2p. Then you get the next 50GB at 4Mbps. Then after that 2Mbps for the rest of the month.

0GB-300GB - Uncapped speeds
300GB - 350GB - 4Mbps capped speeds
350GB+ - 2Mbps until; end of the month.

You can always buy extra data to remove the speed cap. You can also load the R149 - 150GB Nightsurfer bundle.

If you look at Telkoms capped LTE deals the 220+220GB is priced at R999 from ISPs so this uncapped deal is still the best value for money deal.

Thanks cavedog !!!

AntiThesis

Executive Member
And don't "upgrade" whatever you do :D Telkom will try to sell you on it but just tell them politely that month-to-month is fine thanks

RedhotNeo

Expert Member
Telkom data speeds are pathetic at the moment. gaming just disconnects. downloads burst then die off.. just terrible. even netflix streaming just randomly disconnects..

cAfstA

Telkom data speeds are pathetic at the moment. gaming just disconnects. downloads burst then die off.. just terrible. even netflix streaming just randomly disconnects..
Where are you situated? I'm in Gordon's Bay area and thought it's only here in my area.

I've experienced the past 2/3 days especially after 16:00 then can't game or stream.

Snyper564

Executive Member
WFH and more streaming than usual is pushing this to the limit, this is the highest its ever gone

1587975039807.png
Speed also doing well

1587975623864.png

Last edited:

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Where are you situated? I'm in Gordon's Bay area and thought it's only here in my area.

I've experienced the past 2/3 days especially after 16:00 then can't game or stream.

In Bloemfontein, same pattern ... , it is bad.

AntiThesis

Executive Member
Capture.PNG

So, something clearly happened at exactly midnight last night. Bizarre. It's down to maxing at 4 again but for a while there it was beautiful.

Reactions: Yuu

Snyper564

Executive Member
Are you on uncapped? Are you purchasing more data? How the hell you get to that amount of data without being throttled?
I don't purchase anymore data. I have one of the original uncapped and unthrottled contracts it's on month to month I pay 625 a month and I would never ever cancel or upgrade this. This only shaping is the torrents at 50gb a month. I don't care much for torrents as I stream everything.

cAfstA

I don't purchase anymore data. I have one of the original uncapped and unthrottled contracts it's on month to month I pay 625 a month and I would never ever cancel or upgrade this. This only shaping is the torrents at 50gb a month. I don't care much for torrents as I stream everything.
My apologies for not understanding you bud...

I have the same contract but on R711 now as it's month to month.

When I get to 300GB then I'm throttled to 2mbps (supposed to be 4mbps). When I get to 350GB then I'm throttled even further then streaming or gaming is no longer possible. Downloads is also not possible so I don't understand how you can get that much data used without topping up your account.

Snyper564

Executive Member
My apologies for not understanding you bud...

I have the same contract but on R711 now as it's month to month.

When I get to 300GB then I'm throttled to 2mbps (supposed to be 4mbps). When I get to 350GB then I'm throttled even further then streaming or gaming is no longer possible. Downloads is also not possible so I don't understand how you can get that much data used without topping up your account.
I got this contract before the fups came into place, I had it for about 4 months before the 300gb fup came into play so it would be a breach of my original contract

The contract I got clearly stated not throttling and uncapped except for the 50g torrent

I had it since April 2016

cAfstA

I got this contract before the fups came into place, I had it for about 4 months before the 300gb fup came into play so it would be a breach of my original contract

The contract I got clearly stated not throttling and uncapped except for the 50g torrent

I had it since April 2016
Okay I understand you now...

I was under the impression that most of these LTE contracts FUP were amended to the current FUP. Guess I was wrong.

Damn lucky you then bud. Wanna swap