Telkom unlimited home - mobile data

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I'm on a 20gb VDSL unlimited home bundle and I get 3gb free a month mobile data. So I went to the Telkom shop today to get a SIM card and I was told that it was for use on Telkom network only, they are not roaming on MTN like the FreeMe deals. A big problem for me as there is no Telkom mobile network at all in Hermanus.

Now I'm sure someone told me before that you can roam on MTN with this 3gb but the guy was insistent. I think it may have been [MENTION=8181]bwana[/MENTION] who said he has it working???

I've searched MyBB broken but cannot find the thread where it was/may have been discussed before. So can anyone clarify for me please?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Probably do well to just ignore any Telkom representative as usually they have no clue what's going on around them.

I don't see why they would specially exclude some SIM cards from using MTN for roaming. But being a 3G dongle thing it's not like I've kept an eye on it to see when it switches.

I'm almost sure though when I had it in a phone for a few days at one point it did work on MTN.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Interesting. He did say the rumour was that Telkom will launch the network in Hermanus in September time so maybe not so relevant anymore soon.

I’m fine for data on my contract just just now so I’ll keep an eye on things. Not sure if I can stand in the shop for another hour to see if it works or not.

Thanks for replies though.

Budza

Executive Member
Interesting. He did say the rumour was that Telkom will launch the network in Hermanus in September time so maybe not so relevant anymore soon.

I’m fine for data on my contract just just now so I’ll keep an eye on things. Not sure if I can stand in the shop for another hour to see if it works or not.

Voelkip, above the circle, has no Telkom and MTN is about 1 bar.

Please ask the oke where their tower will go up? I'll test again when I'm back up there. Having speedy Telkom data will allow me to work from there more :D

Spizz

Goat Botherer
It’s always worked for me.

@op. Why don’t you just try it?
I was in the shop for something else and asked about it anyway. When he said it doesn’t work on MTN I never thought more of it until later when I remembered I thought bwana had said this before.

But as I say, I’ve got a lot of data available one way or the other so it’s not such an issue just now. Not enough to stand in Telkom shop for another hour or so anyway, if it’s empty when I next pass, I’ll pop in.

biometrics

Freelance App Developer

Dammit. No ADSL at my new house. Looks like I need to go WISP but if Telkom Mobile is launching soon I really don't want to spend the R2,000 WISP setup to change to a new ISP a month or two later.

How sure are you about this?

But as I say, I’ve got a lot of data available one way or the other so it’s not such an issue just now. Not enough to stand in Telkom shop for another hour or so anyway, if it’s empty when I next pass, I’ll pop in.
As do I but I've given the kids sims and also keep one in the car in the mobile router. Additional data is also decently priced especially when you consider it's all network.

Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 18.00.00.png

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Dammit. No ADSL at my new house. Looks like I need to go WISP but if Telkom Mobile is launching soon I really don't want to spend the R2,000 WISP setup to change to a new ISP a month or two later.

How sure are you about this?
Not sure at all. The guy in the Telkom shop said he’d heard that it would happen but he didn’t look so sure himself.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
As do I but I've given the kids sims and also keep one in the car in the mobile router. Additional data is also decently priced especially when you consider it's all network.

View attachment 541379
We’re all contracted up in the house at the moment but I’ll certainly turn to this data sometime. For the moment we’re cool though. I’ve got a FreeMe 1gb sitting in a phone that no one has used for months :erm: