Telkom Unlimited LTE and cancellation penalty

mr_norris

Expert Member
It looks like Telkom have found a way to take more money from me for no reason, and I am at a loss at what to do here.

A bit of backstory:

Late in 2019, they sent out their squad of thieves to steal all the copper in my area so they could force me over to LTE. I threw my toys out the cot back then, but it was a lost cause. I applied for what I thought was Uncapped LTE but somehow confused that with an uncapped fibre package. A sales rep called and spoke to me about the situation, and after some back and forth she put through an application for Telkom LTE. Soon after that, I had the SIM in my hands and went my merry way with their **** service. An important part of this conversation I had with her was me making sure I was getting the month to month option, SIM only deal. I did not want a contract, and I was assured that it wasn't one.

My issue:

Now, fibre is available in my area, so with much joy, I put in my cancellation for Telkom LTE. I couldn't wait for the day that my time with Telkom was over, but alas, there is now another battle with these tossers. A short while after submitting the cancellation online, a rep called me and spoke to me about the situation. On their end, the package is set to end in 2022. Because I am cancelling the service prematurely, I am liable to pay an R800 penalty.

I asked her if it's anything to do with cancelling before the 30 day notice period, and she insisted it wasn't - it's 100% because it appears to be a contract on the backend. I insisted that it's a month to month, and asked her how she can justify a cancellation fee for something that's not a contract. She kept going back to "did you discuss any penalties on the phone with the sales rep". So it appears that it being a month to month isn't part of this equation at all, and my hope of not paying R800 for nothing rests on a conversation I had a year ago - and honestly, I don't think penalties were discussed. I think it's fair to assume if you aren't on a contract, penalties are not part of the situation - but that's just me.

If they had said to me that I need to give a full months notice and that's why I'd have to pay, I would have almost been ok with this. But as I see it at the moment, they are stealing R800 from me for no reason other than it's their policy because they think it's a contract. I feel like this is daylight robbery.

So my rage and feelings aside for the scum that is Telkom, am I completely misunderstanding what went on here? If I am in the wrong, I will come to terms with it over some coffee and humble pie. But I don't see how. If I am right, do I have any leg to stand on? Would there be any consequences to disputing the debit order when it finally goes through if I can't resolve things with them? I want to screw them as they have screwed me these past few years, but at the same time I don't want to get myself blacklisted.

The cherry on top is from their FAQ doc:

The SmartBroadband Wireless post-paid offer is a Post-Paid LTE data plan that can be subscribed to on a 24-month contract with a device or on a month-to-monthSIM only contract.
I was not given a device, as I didn't select the device option.

In the August 2020 T&C's for the product, they had this:
The subscriber shall be liable to pay upon early termination or cancellation of the contract, where applicable, any associated costs such as administration charges, outstanding device costs, service charges etcand this will not be applicable to month-to-month subscribers.

Now of course, it's changed to
The subscriber shall be liable to payupon early termination or cancellation of the contract, where applicable, any associated costs such as administration charges, outstanding device costs, service charges etc.

Mobster

Ask them to provide you with the recording of the phone call you had with the sales agent and then that will prove you stated you wanted a month to month.

mr_norris

Expert Member
Ask them to provide you with the recording of the phone call you had with the sales agent and then that will prove you stated you wanted a month to month.
Yeah, that was the last thing we spoke about. They were going to get back to me. Tried contacting them yesterday and everyone was generally useless. I think I'll need to go to a store to complain :|