Telkom vs Afrihost - Naked ADSL price comparison

cavedog

Honorary Master
Why does the 20Mb offering only have a 1.5Mb max upload? Is it ADSL only?

My current 20Mb VDSL gives me 5Mb upload.

It can be both. The Pure DSL packages does not come with an ADSL or VDSL router. Most of the time 20Mbps ADSL will activate first and then a change to VDSL can be submitted.

bokka1

Expert Member
I got the Telkom deal for my Mom, the first six months it is R199.

Bintang

These 2 companies can shake hands i.t.o their non-existent customer service. Dont care if they are cheaper than other ISP's and will stay miles and miles away from them.

Totempole

Expert Member
It can be both. The Pure DSL packages does not come with an ADSL or VDSL router. Most of the time 20Mbps ADSL will activate first and then a change to VDSL can be submitted.

The question is, will they allow the switch to VDSL...

Seems risky to cancel my existing Telkom service for this as I'm very dependent on the upload speed. Also concerned about losing my ability to sign up for ADSL again as there's already Vuma Fibre in my area,

cavedog

Honorary Master

Seems risky to cancel my existing Telkom service for this as I'm very dependent on the upload speed. Also concerned about losing my ability to sign up for ADSL again as there's already Vuma Fibre in my area,

Openserve will not install Naked DSL if there is already Openserve fibre available. Any other fibre provider doesn't matter they will install Naked DSL. I can't see a reason why there will be a refusal to activate VDSL.

Totempole

Expert Member
Openserve will not install Naked DSL if there is already Openserve fibre available. Any other fibre provider doesn't matter they will install Naked DSL. I can't see a reason why there will be a refusal to activate VDSL.

I've heard of a couple of cases already where people's application for Naked ADSL applications were rejected straight after cancelling with Telkom due to claims from Telkom/Openserve that they're no longer offering ADSL in that area.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I've heard of a couple of cases already where people's application for Naked ADSL applications were rejected straight after cancelling with Telkom due to claims from Telkom/Openserve that they're no longer offering ADSL in that area.

Personally I have not heard of any of these cases yet. In most cases not all there will be at least 2 pairs of copper wires. If you just have 1 line that leaves 1 pair unused. I will advise if there is a concern about availability or the possibility of orders being cancelled order Naked DSL and let the technician install the Naked DSL service on the second pair of copper wires. Once that is installed and activated you can cancel old services with peace of mind.

The only issue with this is there might be a 30 day cancellation period and you would end up paying for 2 services. It does offer peace of mind though.

KKeyser

I live in the Free State, cancelled my Internet with Telkom, they cut my ADSL Line and now they tell me that they do not support ADSL in my Area and I need to get LTE!

At my local Telkom shop even the sales people were confused so I personally feel that Telkom should not even be included in any ADSL comparisons until they can get clarity or vision as to whether they want to provide ADSL or not.

It even confuse other ISP'S as when I check their sites it indicates ADSL is available in my area but once I enquire from sales they start to doubt whether ADSL will be available, but I still had it last week!!?

Telkom and Openserve really needs to improve their useless customer service. Best of all, I have to sit and look at advertising on every platform about moving to Fibre when my City/Town/Area do not feature in Fibre plans for at least 5 years!!

wingnut771

Honorary Master

it's exchange dependent afaik. newer ones are vdsl, older ones are adsl.