Telkom wants me to upgrade to a "wireless" home phone

AntiThesis

Executive Member
Anyone else had this? I'm suspicious but intrigued and want to find out more :)

In our continuing efforts to offer you the best communications experience, we'd like to recommend that you upgrade your existing fixed-line phone to our new wireless home phone.

Your current Telkom service is operating on outdated copper-based technology. Telkom is introducing new wireless technology that overcomes the issues associated with copper land-lines such as cable theft and faults. This new wireless technology offers greater reliability and a consistently good quality voice service.

Important to note:

• Although it is a technology upgrade, your monthly fee and current package
    '' remains the same.
  • You retain your existing fixed line number.
  • You'll receive a free new phone worth more than R1000.
  • Your new phone will be delivered free of charge.
  • You'll receive a free SIM card.
  • Your new phone will be voice & SMS capable.
  • IMPORTANTLY: You won't experience any interruption to your service during the change-over.

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
Its called FLLA, offered to those in areas with high incidences of cable theft, and areas where Telkom have been kept out, like the sad apartment block I presently live in.

* IMPORTANTLY, if you have ADSL, you can kiss that goodbye

Daisy Cloudskitter

Great offer if copper’s being phased out in your area , but be careful if the mail includes a link, and/or you’ve had no adsl issues, and/or you get an unsolicited call to ‘confirm’ the offer & ‘update your details”.

Hope it’s genuine, just bear in mind that they promise all sorts then “upgrade” usually means signing a 2 year contract with whatever new T&C they choose and a debit order agreement.

So far I’ve only seen FLLA ‘free’ upgrades offered after months of adsl faults being logged on FUBAR (or stolen) copper cables.

AntiThesis

Executive Member
Well, definitely Telkom and yeah, looks like FLLA. Have asked for a callback so will see what they say - I know they've been offering some people around here a "free" upgrade from DSL to LTE so I'm guessing the same infrastructure

supersunbird

Honorary Master
If you have extensions:

Hi, up until yesterday I had a copper based service. TELKOM delivered a FLLA telephone (Atel AGP-KW125) which I have activated.
Copper service no longer works (discontinued by TELKOM??) and neither do any of the 3 extensons in the house!
With this new wireless set-up how do I now get extensions? Have to buy 3 new phones and get duplicate SIM cards????
TELKOM shop people just shrug their shoulders!
https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/fixed-line-look-alike-extensions-at-home.981683/

zizo911

Executive Member
My colleague had this installed in there house last month, he says it's the worst thing ever since he is unable to even make any calls and always battles with finding a signal. The phone also randomly cuts off while on call as well. Telkom is not much help either.

blowdart18

Just another note, we have tested this by "roaming" with the phone around Pretoria. They somehow lock your phone to a particular cell which would explain why some people have problems with signal since you could be on the edge of a cell.

alphabyte

My copper-based landline was out of order for many weeks, so eventually I opted to change to FLLA - what a mission that was! Staff at the Telkom shop were very unhelpful and untrained. But eventually I got the phone, took it home, and all worked fine.
BUT - there was still a fault report outstanding, and when they got round to checking on it they messed up the FLLA configuration. Now I could use either instrument (FLLA or the old copper-connected) to phone out, but incoming calls would be routed to according to their origin network. So calls from a Telkom number were routed to the FFLA and calls from Vodacom were routed to the copper line. Try explaining this to their help desk, they simply did not believe me. The first tech they sent out did not understand it at all, and left without solving the issue. The second tech was slightly better, he realized it was a configuration issue, but was clueless as to how to solve it. The third tech was more helpful, and although he did not know how to fix it, he followed up and found someone to sort it out.
Since then it has been working fine, no issues, and no more cable theft.

mmmig

Honorary Master
Well, definitely Telkom and yeah, looks like FLLA. Have asked for a callback so will see what they say - I know they've been offering some people around here a "free" upgrade from DSL to LTE so I'm guessing the same infrastructure
Where I stay there are several roads where the lines were taken out completely, but they still offering ADSL for the most part. What's annoying though is that the cable running from the exchange to the main box always get stolen and Openserve has already installed fibre lines a couple like 2 years ago but the box still utilitises a copper connection to the exchange. Every couple months we get cable theft