Telkom wants me to upgrade to a "wireless" home phone

SYNERGY

Executive Member
Telkom is apparently forcibly moving me to Wireless. Stating that I will be disconnected end of the month:mad::mad::mad:

My line is perfectly fine, and I'm based in a large shopping complex.

isie

Honorary Master
Telkom is apparently forcibly moving me to Wireless. Stating that I will be disconnected end of the month:mad::mad::mad:

My line is perfectly fine, and I'm based in a large shopping complex.
Any reason they gave?
like too ageing infrastructure too many thefts or even they installed fibre in the area?

SYNERGY

Executive Member
Any reason they gave?
like too ageing infrastructure too many thefts or even they installed fibre in the area?
Copper theft. Which I have never experienced, lines never went down.

Mandyq

I've got this thing and it seems to be working but what is the point? I had a Telkom land-line because it would work if the cellular signal was down or Eskom was out. Is there any cost/billing advantage? I think I am going to cancel my Telkom account now.

boggom

My parents moved from one town to another bigger town to an age old home. They got to keep their number, get an additional 2GB of data that they can use through the devices wifi network and they can move the phone where they need it, because it is battery powered. All this for the same price they paid for their phone line... Also they don't need to buy data for their cell phone anymore - double saving for them. Not for everybody I would assume, but for them it's a bargain.

isie

Honorary Master
I've got this thing and it seems to be working but what is the point? I had a Telkom land-line because it would work if the cellular signal was down or Eskom was out. Is there any cost/billing advantage? I think I am going to cancel my Telkom account now.
the point is they getting rid landlines cables are expensive to keep replacing . so up to you to cancel if you hae no use for it.

dillydog

Port your number and buy an IP phone, If you are not reliant on the ADSL/Copper anymore. You would be better off getting the Telkom Fixed LTE product and then porting your number and buying IP phones. You will most likely not pay monthly rentals for that...Or they will be lower than an analogue telkom line.

Thanks

buffalobill

One of the problems I've faced, is the system black hole at Telkom. Things disappear into this system and six weeks later my FLLA SIM card is not yet activated. Then another person at the Telkom shop told me last week it will cost R375 PM line rental. No thanks.

Louis72

My parents moved from one town to another bigger town to an age old home. They got to keep their number, get an additional 2GB of data that they can use through the devices wifi network and they can move the phone where they need it, because it is battery powered. All this for the same price they paid for their phone line... Also they don't need to buy data for their cell phone anymore - double saving for them. Not for everybody I would assume, but for them it's a bargain.
They have good products when they work. But boy oh boy when things with billing and technical start going wrong. Its like the black hole effect. Because first their order system alongside the people managing it have black holes for brains.
One of the problems I've faced, is the system black hole at Telkom. Things disappear into this system and six weeks later my FLLA SIM card is not yet activated. Then another person at the Telkom shop told me last week it will cost R375 PM line rental. No thanks.

Solarion

Honorary Master
Copper theft. Which I have never experienced, lines never went down.
[/QUOTE]

Copper theft is a big problem in Durban and surrounds. Telkom have their hands full switching over to wireless. What is going to become of all the fibre though that has been installed? I see OpenServe boxes on every street corner. Why install it in the first place to only then offer customers all these wireless gadgets and alternatives?

Confused.

Cius

Executive Member
Parents in law where forcefully migrated, other than the massive mess in migrating and being billed while not getting service for a while the new phone line quality is so bad the phone is almost unusable. They will probably cancel the service.

plop

TLLA is data not airtime !

There is a line rental fee on top of which the subscriber must select a data plan in order to use the device.

The cold call agent would not offer me the preconfigured sim card (existing number mapped to a call manager number for voip), claimed that if I go to a Telkom shop I would be charged R1200 for the service - go figure. Moreover, none of the Telkom info spammed to my mobile number mention time lines for phasing out copper in my area, the agent was claiming 3 weeks.

The Polycom phones, like most devices have an IMEI number which I suspect Telkom is using to preconfigure their call manager system. Telkom ( and Polycom, US Plantronics) will have your mac and imei number for track and trace (surveillance and monitoring).

If going the TLLA route insist on a preconfigured sim card to load onto a VOIP capable device that you have purchased from an independent supplier. Report your experience here.

For the security system installed at my premises I merely need a sim card from a service provider - ergo a fixed mobile solution at home for calls and sms @ mobile rates. TLLA is data for VOIP which may provide greater flexibility for trunking overseas BUT the telkom solution is 3G wireless. Wireless is affected by atmospheric conditions and there are the harmful effects of radiation in your home which copper does not have.
Communication is a strategic asset of a sovereign country, to what extent is Plantronics undermining the security of South Africa and it's citizens? How does a South African citizen hold a US registered gloabl communications company liable for a breach of confidentiality or some other offence (POPI) ?
When there is a power outage fixed copper lines remain connected which is important for security systems (think rural areas too). Will a TLLA remain connected during a power outage ? Copper and fibre can be concreted into reinforced conduits below ground whereas unsightly wireless infrastructure remains above ground and is thus a target for the terrorist, activist and vandal. Surely TLLA is costlier i.t.o. setup, replacement, staffing and security costs? What about the cost to our national security?
Remember technology can disappear overnight, I kid you not. The more complex the system the harder they become to maintain.