Telkom wants my fingerprints for a prepaid sim?

Mars

Honorary Master
I just tried to get a prepaid lte sim at the telkom shop and she asked me for my fingerprints?

WTF?

She said if I don't agree I can't have the sim.

I walked out.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
next time go get some latex liquid and rub it on your finger tips, let it harden and then go back into the telkom store, when she asks for your fingerprints start peeling the latex off and start flinging it at her.

That would be priceless to watch

SykomantiS

Expert Member
How about no...

I can't remember ever having to give fingerprints for any sim card, and I have a couple rica'd to my name/ID

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
Telkom hellkom:

"Zahied eventually returned with a security report that stated my finger prints did not actually belong to me (go figure?), despite the fact that the printout he was waving in my face included my photograph but even the excellent likeness this was not enough to satisfy the powers that be that I am in the flesh the same person that was staring up from the A4 printout. Thus the increasingly sullen, disinterested Zahied informed me I would have to wait between 24 to 48 hours for the SIM swop. No apology. No explanation. "
:ROFL:

Mars

Honorary Master
I got one from Checkers in the end, but still, what right do they have to keep my bio metric data on file? This falls right in line with the whole facial recognition thing. They are a private company.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
I got one from Checkers in the end, but still, what right do they have to keep my bio metric data on file? This falls right in line with the whole facial recognition thing. They are a private company.
The banks are private companies?

cavedog

Honorary Master
They took my finger prints when I did a contract sim swap. When I declined they said I can't get the sim swap.