Telkom wants my fingerprints for a prepaid sim?

MightyQuin

Not amused...
This. With all our data being stolen and used for ill-purposes, the last thing you need is to have your fingerprints stolen as well.
What does it matter? What will anybody be able to do with a copy of your fingerprints?

People pi$$ and moan about our useless RICA system, and when there are attempts to improve it like this, people pi$$ and moan..

:rolleyes:

The Jam

Honorary Master
I would think this is to prevent unauthorised sim swaps and the like. I would be happy for them to take my fingerprints
Yeah, you can't win at this stuff... People will complain if their sim swap is unauthorized but complain when proper measures are in place to stop it.

It is, however, yet another avenue for data theft... Not by Telkom but by rogue employees, contractors and cyber criminals.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Well, at least if would be easier to prove it's your SIM if yours is lost and you want to do a SIM swap, rather than trying to remember all kinds of BS like last recharge amount and airtime balance and all other kids of nonsense.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I would think this is to prevent unauthorised sim swaps and the like. I would be happy for them to take my fingerprints

That is exactly what I was told. Once biometrics were registered on a number or contract next time you do a sim swap you can do it with biometrics only and need to pass the biometrics before the sim swap can happen.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
That is exactly what I was told. Once biometrics were registered on a number or contract next time you do a sim swap you can do it with biometrics only and need to pass the biometrics before the sim swap can happen.
Trading privacy for convenience...

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Yeah, you can't win at this stuff... People will complain if their sim swap is unauthorized but complain when proper measures are in place to stop it.

It is, however, yet another avenue for data theft... Not by Telkom but by rogue employees, contractors and cyber criminals.
Exactly. Sad thing though is that some Guavament Worker must of already sold everybody's data

Mars

Honorary Master

That's a little silly. There are many ways to confirm someones identity without keeping their bio-metric data on file. Besides, any system can be circumvented. Whats next? Facial recognition when you go to the mall? When you go to a club?
When you attend a political rally?
The real question is: Do we have the right to privacy, should I be able to take the choice to go through the hard process to keep my bio-metrics private?

R13...

Honorary Master
This is the same Telkom whose stores register random people for prepaid Sims on other people's Rica? Screw them.

So now some criminal gets their number linked to your finger prints.

The Jam

Honorary Master
That's a little silly. There are many ways to confirm someones identity without keeping their bio-metric data on file.
Do tell, I'm interested to hear your solution.
Whats next? Facial recognition when you go to the mall? When you go to a club?
That's a little silly. Do you think that's not already happening? Where's SA law on that and what stops me from using facial recognition? The cameras are commonplace.
When you attend a political rally?
Easy solution to that one LOL. Do you go to political rallys in a balaclava? If not, don't attend public rallys if you're paranoid about being identified with a political party.
As for keeping your biometrics private - they're not private, they're already available through official channels for a small fee.

Last edited: