Telkom wants my fingerprints for a prepaid sim?

Moby Grape

Honorary Master
This is the same Telkom whose stores register random people for prepaid Sims on other people's Rica? Screw them.
I think they're trying to solve that very issue by implementing systems that require your fingerprint for sim transactions.

Moby Grape

Honorary Master
Sad thing though is that some Guavament Worker must of already sold everybody's data
It's already available to the general public... besides, what use is having your biometric data on file other than to confirm your identity when you offer it for the purpose? N.B. biometric data is good for authentication.

hungrymamba

Expert Member
Your fingerprints are everywhere my guy, no use denying Telkom... Even private security estates have your fingerprints that they run when you visit.

Moby Grape

Honorary Master
Your fingerprints are everywhere my guy, no use denying Telkom... Even private security estates have your fingerprints that they run when you visit.
And just to correct this... your fingerprints are not what they have... they have a digital representation of your fingerprint that can be used for authentication of the real deal.

newby_investor

Expert Member
This is odd. I came back from an overseas trip two months ago, had lost my Telkom prepaid SIM. Walked into the Telkom shop, with my ID, got a new SIM card with the same number no hassle.

If they're asking for fingerprints now, it must be new.

Totempole

Expert Member
I went to the Telkom Branch next to PicknPay in Canal Walk for a prepaid SIM.

They asked for biometric ID and also said I had to take at least 3 SIM cards.

I didn't question it. They don't charge for the SIM cards either.

newby_investor

Expert Member
I went to the Telkom Branch next to PicknPay in Canal Walk for a prepaid SIM.

They asked for biometric ID and also said I had to take at least 3 SIM cards.

I didn't question it. They don't charge for the SIM cards either.
You can buy SIM cards from the tills in PnP though, surely?
Why do they want you to take 3 SIMs? That makes very little sense. It's almost inviting abuse.

Totempole

Expert Member
You can buy SIM cards from the tills in PnP though, surely?
Why do they want you to take 3 SIMs? That makes very little sense. It's almost inviting abuse.

Could have probably gone to PnP, but it was quick and easy at the Telkom Branch. No queues.

Still not sure why I had to take 3 though.

Milano

Honorary Master
Must have been two years ago that I took my mom to get her drivers renewed. They could not generate images from her fingers. When generating fingerprints from senior citizens (also bricklayers, secretaries and so forth) you really require multispectural scanners to pull the underlying print otherwise you often generate a sub 20 percent image due to damage to the upper later print. Would be interested to know what the specifications are of the scanners being used at Telkom, banks etc.

Aghori

Honorary Master
Psh bollocks. If you want a prepaid SIM, go to any shady looking pakistani cellphone shop. R10 each for any network, pre-Rica'd. I don't know why you waste your time going to the official stores.

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
Psh bollocks. If you want a prepaid SIM, go to any shady looking pakistani cellphone shop. R10 each for any network, pre-Rica'd. I don't know why you waste your time going to the official stores.
Generally tell people to do this when they traveling in SA and all of a sudden need a sim, but we once had it now where the staff member lost the sim card and cant get the number back if i recall as they wanted to pull it via the old rica but obviously it was registered in some other name etc before.

cavedog

Honorary Master

Well very nice of you to encourage people to break the law. IF your ID number gets compromised and you find yourself with 80 simcards ricad on your name don't get angry. ;)

thehuman

Expert Member
They most probably can retrieve your id number from home affairs fingerprint/ id database

marioat1

Expert Member
Go read all the dumb, how can I do a simswap threads