Telkom wants my fingerprints for a prepaid sim?

Urist

Expert Member
I don't think they're allowed collect and store your biometrics.

Priapus

Executive Member
Home Affairs already sold your biometrics to a few companies (Tymebank, VerifyID etc), what does it matter if Telkom has it as well?

Anything to back that up or just making **** up?

3WA

Honorary Master
Anything to back that up or just making **** up?

I didn't realise I have to post backup for statements that are easy to verify with 5 seconds on Google.

At the kiosk, TymeBank's digital system links with the home affairs database to capture biometric data, which verifies the customer's identity.

We gain our verifications from Home Affairs and all our ID Verification are Home Affairs Verified.

newby_investor

Expert Member
I didn't realise I have to post backup for statements that are easy to verify with 5 seconds on Google.

I don't think that HA sold anyone the data, but they make it available to the private sector, especially banks, for verifying peoples' identities. I think this is in accordance with law, it's part of why banks need a banking licence - they need to be able to prove they handle this data responsibly.

At least that's the theory.

Urist

Expert Member
It's considered special personal information in the popi act part B which is prohibited, comes with a lot of regulation, but apperently they may if you consent, it just seems wrong if they demand it if you want to get a sim card. I wouldn't.

3WA

Honorary Master
I don't think that HA sold anyone the data, but they make it available to the private sector, especially banks, for verifying peoples' identities. I think this is in accordance with law, it's part of why banks need a banking licence - they need to be able to prove they handle this data responsibly.

At least that's the theory.

Yeah, but whether they sold it or gave it away, the point is that commercial enterprises can get your biometrics without your consent (you don't exactly have the option of opting out from getting an ID).

And it's not just banks. There's companies without banking licences that have access to that database.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Yeah, but whether they sold it or gave it away, the point is that commercial enterprises can get your biometrics without your consent (you don't exactly have the option of opting out from getting an ID).

And it's not just banks. There's companies without banking licences that have access to that database.
You kind of do have the option. But then you make your life very difficult for yourself, by basically being excluded from most (or all?) formal aspects of the economy.

So yeah. Kind of a sucky situation, but it is what it is.

thehuman

Expert Member
Code:
BDE68GsENMSxDQSMmwVOBCjrJHwEQGk5MgQZJsVkBCCvOYYEGP7VyAQUqS3YBBzc3U8EHM6ZMwQuPt2UBCC

above is a fingerprint hash

3WA

Honorary Master
You kind of do have the option. But then you make your life very difficult for yourself, by basically being excluded from most (or all?) formal aspects of the economy.

How many people do you know who will opt out from applying for jobs, accessing any private or public healthcare, having bank accounts, or using government services (RDP houses, social grants)? You'd have to go live in some jungle somewhere, fishing for food and stealing oranges from farmers so you don't get scurvy (incidentally, this is also my retirement plan).

newby_investor

Expert Member
How many people do you know who will opt out from applying for jobs, accessing any private or public healthcare, having bank accounts, or using government services (RDP houses, social grants)? You'd have to go live in some jungle somewhere, fishing for food and stealing oranges from farmers so you don't get scurvy (incidentally, this is also my retirement plan).
Honestly with the way that the modern economy goes sometimes - I've toyed with the idea of taking early retirement and doing just this myself!

Reactions: 3WA

marioat1

Expert Member
It's considered special personal information in the popi act part B which is prohibited, comes with a lot of regulation, but apperently they may if you consent, it just seems wrong if they demand it if you want to get a sim card. I wouldn't.
Popia isn't implimented yet, if ever, even though signed into law 6 years ago.