Telkom wants to cut me off.. I have no options

OldGoat

I have a very unusual issue.
I live in the small town of Uniondale in the Western Cape. Here we have limited connectivity and therefore Telkom cannot offer us any wireless (4G) options. At the moment I have Telkom home unlimited 10meg ADSL, month to month.. have had this for 2.5 years.

A Telkom rep called me the other day to say that they are going to be cutting my Telkom line (phone and ADSL) in 30 days as they are doing away with copper :oops:
As far as I know I am the only one in town who has been told this and I know that Telkom are still putting in new ADSL lines in the town and surrounds.

I'm at a loss here. I have called Telkom a number of times to make sure they have the right person and/or place (I moved here 3 years ago from Gauteng and my previous line kept on being stolen) but they insist that it is correct and they gonna cut me off :crying:
When I queried that there are still new connections being installed, they say that one department does not know what the other is doing.

I run a guest house and do internet marketing for clients so I NEED data and a landline. Costs for satellite are a lot more and I really can't afford the additional expense.

Please someone tell me what I can do. Who can I call/beg?

COMPUTEK

Executive Member
Not sure what you can do or who you can call, but they told my dad in Parow the same thing over a year ago, and since then nothing has happened yet.

RedViking

Nord of the South
They are busy phasing out ADSL.

You not having Internet is not their problem.

That is just how they think.

Become the monopoly and then cut people off.

tlehmann

Don’t stress, they won’t cut you off. It is a tactic for you to move to LTE or Fibre. The consultant who phoned you don’t know that the rest is not available in your area.

Just ignore.

isie

Honorary Master
I have a very unusual issue.
I live in the small town of Uniondale in the Western Cape. Here we have limited connectivity and therefore Telkom cannot offer us any wireless (4G) options. At the moment I have Telkom home unlimited 10meg ADSL, month to month.. have had this for 2.5 years.

A Telkom rep called me the other day to say that they are going to be cutting my Telkom line (phone and ADSL) in 30 days as they are doing away with copper :oops:
As far as I know I am the only one in town who has been told this and I know that Telkom are still putting in new ADSL lines in the town and surrounds.

I'm at a loss here. I have called Telkom a number of times to make sure they have the right person and/or place (I moved here 3 years ago from Gauteng and my previous line kept on being stolen) but they insist that it is correct and they gonna cut me off :crying:
When I queried that there are still new connections being installed, they say that one department does not know what the other is doing.

I run a guest house and do internet marketing for clients so I NEED data and a landline. Costs for satellite are a lot more and I really can't afford the additional expense.

Please someone tell me what I can do. Who can I call/beg?
dont do anything, if you wan to have fun, tell them to send it to you in writing that their intention to cancel the adsl lines in your area.
although telkom are phasing out copper only in areas where there is an alternative.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
dont do anything, if you wan to have fun, tell them to send it to you in writing that their intention to cancel the adsl lines in your area.
although telkom are phasing out copper only in areas where there is an alternative.
Wrong they are phasing out copper in areas that are not profitable, Telkom don't give a F whether there's an alternative or not

isie

Honorary Master
Wrong they are phasing out copper in areas that are not profitable, Telkom don't give a F whether there's an alternative or not
depends how you look at what they say, this for example is open to interpretation
Instead of repairing or replacing copper infrastructure, Telkom’s strategy involved switching over its ADSL customers to fibre where it is available and offering fixed-LTE as an alternative where it is not.
but then
:unsure:
It said it will continue its decommissioning strategy in locations which are not “economically viable”, however.

“In areas where our network continues to provide reliable and affordable connections, we will utilise our existing infrastructure to meet those demands, especially for broadband services,” Openserve stated.

Zophos

Expert Member
A bit off topic, but OP, is there really a ghost in Uniondale? :unsure:

Asking for a friend...:)

OldGoat

A bit off topic, but OP, is there really a ghost in Uniondale? :unsure:

Asking for a friend...:)
She hasn't been seen since her husband died (1984) BUT I did record this and others similar in the hall on my property :oops:

They're bluffing in the hopes that you will agree. Just ignore them.

Get a "Naked ADSL" package from Vox.
Knowing my luck, I'll get Vox and Telkom will leave my line in.. 2 accounts :rolleyes:

We have no fibre here. MTN, CellC and Telkom have no LTE options. Vodacom does have LTE but very "spotty".
We only recently upgraded from smoke signals.