Telkom wants to kill ADSL in five years

Napalm2880

Expert Member
So they kill ADSL, and offer LTE as a replacement - which is a no-go for gamers due to latency. The LTE network then quickly becomes over-subscribed, destroying the user experience for all users. At which point they wait for enough complaints before they can justify the cost of laying fibre in the area.

Seems like great plan.

JustAsk

Expert Member
so i will get the home uncapped package on LTE?
That's what i understand what "same deal" means. Will most probably cap your speed.
I know of quite a few people that have customized deals on LTE that is based on their previous plans.
They did that with the prepaid landline (waya waya) plans too with their Fixed line lookalike thing.

jphegers

Telkom does not have month to month fiber contracts and with their bad record regarding cancelling of services who can afford to go into twenty four month contract with them?

JimM

Expert Member
As I am aware, every town with an ABSA bank has fibre. Telkom were under contract to install fibre and every branch. So, if you live in a small town with an ABSA bank and Telkom want to palm you off with 3G or 4G, you can take them to task!

lkswan747

Expert Member
They should have started this 5 years ago and would have retained the thousands of ADSL users who decided to dump them for other fibre ISP's. Sorry Telkom, you missed retaining me as a customer due to your K*k attitude towards loyal customers!

rory

If this is the same jeffreys bay that I know it does not have LTE. Only roaming 3g also confirmed on telkom's LTE coverage map. LTE and LTE-A say coming soon but this has been like this for a couple of years.
Maybe there are 2 Jeffreys bays in south africa.

ponder

Honorary Master
Telkom does not have month to month fiber contracts and with their bad record regarding cancelling of services who can afford to go into twenty four month contract with them?

False, I've been on month to month from day one.

ld13

Honorary Master
Telkom has been aggressively training their techs to do fibre over the past couple of years, so this makes sense. But to reiterate what everyone is saying, I doubt that Telkom will be able to match my current ADSL offering properly. I use my ADSL account at multiple end-points etc etc. Never mind the fact that we do not even have fibre yet.

As I am aware, every town with an ABSA bank has fibre. Telkom were under contract to install fibre and every branch. So, if you live in a small town with an ABSA bank and Telkom want to palm you off with 3G or 4G, you can take them to task!

So Stillbay has a telkom fibre running al the way to Absa? I doubt you will get them to put you on said fibre, even if you live on the other side of the road at Spar.

jphegers

False, I've been on month to month from day one.
I have been on their website various times and nowhere could i see month to month contracts advertised and i get regular calls from their sales department and they could not confirm they have month to month contracts.
Thanks for advising me otherwise.

walterl

Expert Member
My ADSL contract with Telkom is month to month as I opted to use my own router instead of theirs

Swa

Honorary Master
Considering we have others like Rain with far better offers Telkom still has a lot of catching up to do. Probably why it would take 5 years. That's anything but aggressive.

You will not have a choice. The morons changed our local exchange (Pta-North) to LTE. My 8Mb DLS performs like a 2Mb line with the usual extreme latency of LTE. Can't use Netflix anymore.
That's not the "extreme latency of LTE". LTE's latency is usually pretty good and should easily handle Netflix on a good connection. You have other issues.

So their fight to keep their grubby paws on the local loop was all for nothing then...
No it kept the competition out.

They'll offer you the same price for your existing plan, provided of course that you were using their data.
Which is the problem. Most people are using other providers. So unless you use Telkom ISP you are sh|t out of luck. They should offer the same deal no matter who you use. There's also the problem that you are then stuck with whatever you have and can't ever migrate or change.

I have been on their website various times and nowhere could i see month to month contracts advertised and i get regular calls from their sales department and they could not confirm they have month to month contracts.
Thanks for advising me otherwise.
That's because you don't get fibre directly through them like with adsl but rather through an ISP.

Shadowchaser1

I am in the same boat as all above. I have a Fibre connection in front of my house from MTN. Unfortunately it's not for FTTH. They installed it to build a Fibre ring to their towers. Telkom is nowhere close to installing fibre by us. Doubt if it will take place in the next 5 years anyhow.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
If fiber was in my area I would jump to fiber but all providers stopped just short of my area when installing fiber cables. LTE coverage in my area is piss poor so I have to stay with DSL never mind that LTE is still far more expensive than my uncapped DSL...

I would move to fibre in a heartbeat...... BUT......

Telkom must first prove that the fibre on the pole behind my place actually works!
I saw the fibre test results ----- as the fibre terminates on the pole behind my place, their test team set themselves up there to "test" the fibres. I saw how poor the test results were. I saw the results with the terrible splices. I saw the careless workmanship, the bad pole installs, the wrong eyes and pigtails being used, the removal of back stays on the poles, and the over-tensioning of the fibre cable, and the failure to clear the cable route of branches .........

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
If fiber was in my area I would jump to fiber but all providers stopped just short of my area when installing fiber cables. LTE coverage in my area is piss poor so I have to stay with DSL never mind that LTE is still far more expensive than my uncapped DSL...
The unfortunate thing is that they plan to move people like you over to LTE and take the fixed line option away.

My mother has a business phone line a home line and a separate ADSL line, Telkom phoned her and told her they were moving the fixed line on to a wireless solution and the ADSL line on to LTE.

They managed to get fibre but who knows what will happen with those phone numbers.

Shadowchaser1

Regarding ABSA, that will not happen. It's not only ABSA, but all Gov depts as well. You cannot use the same link as ABSA as it's exclusively theirs and the same with Gov depts. It's called VPN and only they have access to it. They pay a massive amount on it for a 3 to 5 year term and are linked to their HO. The answer you get is that is for businesses only. The FTTH works on a different budget and scenario.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Regarding ABSA, that will not happen. It's not only ABSA, but all Gov depts as well. You cannot use the same link as ABSA as it's exclusively theirs and the same with Gov depts. It's called VPN and only they have access to it. They pay a massive amount on it for a 3 to 5 year term and are linked to their HO. The answer you get is that is for businesses only. The FTTH works on a different budget and scenario.

It depends on the fibre deal with ABSA. IF the deal is that the fibre cable is exclusively for ABSA, then even if there are spare fibres in the cable, they will not be used for FTTH. It is all about SLAs and performance guarantees that were given to ABSA. The high-end business service plans normally exclude the fibre cable being used for any other services.