Telkom won't give me a cable, any other suggestions?

SkippyZA

Hi All

First some background, I moved into a new apartment about 8 months ago in Stellenbosch. I requested a line from telkom and after they sent a technician, they told me I needed a physical line to be installed (like dig a trench and put a line in). I included an image for an easy explanation, so here is what happened:

vzvgn7.jpg

*The green block is where I stay.
*That whole plot use to be one and got split into 2 plots.
*The old plot (the big one) had a telkom access point, but unfortunately I now stay on the wrong side of the split.
*The dotted line is where I need to have a physical cable added, and there is obviously infrastructure for it.
*Telkom refuses to lay that line (or have it done by a third party).

So here is my question, does anybody know of a way to get a physical cable without going through Telkom?
I am aware that I will still need a telkom line in the end, but maybe if I can get a third party company to actually get a physical line to me, I can just get it connected by telkom.

Also I am aware of other ways around a physical cable (wireless, LTE, etc.), however my first option is still to get a physical cable if possible, and thus I would like to exhaust this option before I find an alternate solution.

And help or comments welcome, thank you in advance.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Even if you lay the cable what makes you think that Telkom will connect it? Since they or a contractor they use did not install the line they won't connect it because if something goes wrong with that portion of the line they will need to carry the cost of the repair which I don't think they will do.

Sadly I also think you are screwed.

MrMag

What's wrong with getting your neighbour to put a second line in on your name and then run an extension
to your property. You can then go the trench route from his house, the Bill on your number will come to you.

Keeper

Honorary Master
Strange, I thought providing telephone/internet access was pretty much what they did, you know, as a business.

giggity

Strange, I thought providing telephone/internet access was pretty much what they did, you know, as a business.
It's not worth laying that much copper and using that much manpower for one customer. If an entire area was looking for ADSL, or, say if it were a full building of potential customers, then there would be a line.

@OP, Do the people next door in plot 7975 or 15700 have phone lines? You should probably be able to extend from where their lines come from.

Keeper

Honorary Master
It's not worth laying that much copper and using that much manpower for one customer. If an entire area was looking for ADSL, or, say if it were a full building of potential customers, then there would be a line.

Why not? Why can't they just bill him?
It's like they don't even care about money.

"Oh, sorry sir, no this is going to be an expensive job... and that's why we don't want to do it"

giggity

Why not? Why can't they just bill him?
It's like they don't even care about money.

"Oh, sorry sir, no this is going to be an expensive job... and that's why we don't want to do it"

That will be a lot of money. They'd need probably three or four workers working for a week on it, plus about 50 metres of copper. Then more man hours working on connecting the cables to infrastructure. They might be able to do it, but it'll burn a hole in your pocket.

FNfal

Executive Member
When a developer builds a building they are supposed to consult Telkom planning department on where the sleeve for the access cable must go and install the sleeve , if this is not done you will not get a phone (ADSL).
Now you will have to do what the developer was supposed to do .

Last edited:

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
What happens on private property is your and yor developer's responsibility., not Telkoms