Telkom's ADSL IPC free capacity plans: ISPs respond

grim

Expert Member
Did the guys at the ISPs miss the fact that this isn't the price reduction that's still incoming?

This a free 5% upgrade to their current IPC not a 5% discount???

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
Data keeps being made slightly cheaper every now and again, but at the same time line rental and access charges are rising just as steadily.

In the end it seems Telkom want's its 10 pounds of flesh and that's that.

F1 Fan

Expert Member
I agree with what they are saying though, I have actually been saying it for a while. I find it crazy that they charge R425 for an ADSL line with no data. I don't mind the fact the services are bundled, but having to pay such a high fee is crazy. Had the line costed R165 for all speeds, plus the normal R185, I would not mind.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
if ISPs don't want free capacity upgrades they can't complain about their networks being congested. It is one thing for an ISP to set forth that the 1/20 increase in capacity is not much to right home about but it is frankly a welcome boost to any network.

Wyzak

Expert Member
Mmm Telkom the company everybody loves to hate. If it wasn't Telkom but a top40-company and the ISPS were it's employees or customers. It would certainly sound a lot like the demands that are made every year during strike season. They got 5% for mahala, they should be happy about that, but yet they are all complaining! Tread carefully or you might just be considered spoiled children.

Data keeps being made slightly cheaper every now and again, but at the same time line rental and access charges are rising just as steadily.

Access charges haven't increased in years, and the line rental increases by less than inflation annually. Hardly something to complain about. If you could afford Internet 5 years ago, you can still afford it today.

Last edited:

Tander

Executive Member
Which will see them having to make big changes if they want to stay relevant in SA. Their current attitude to beat subscriber loss "Just increase rental prices" will only work for so long. Soon, inflation catches up and they will start feeling it. Actually, I think this is the case now.

Wyzak

Expert Member
Which will see them having to make big changes if they want to stay relevant in SA. Their current attitude to beat subscriber loss "Just increase rental prices" will only work for so long. Soon, inflation catches up and they will start feeling it. Actually, I think this is the case now.
It is already a losing strategy. Their annual increases as per my statement are below inflation. If they were really doing it to offset customer loss they would be above inflation increases.

The problem is that we have two companies who should be doing the same thing - ICASA and the DOC. They should be merged into a single entity. Then we have government who is the biggest shareholder in Telkom and also controls ICASA, DOC and the CC. The big fine that the CC gave to Telkom was just a sneaky way for government to pay themselves a healthy dividend without having to pay a cent to any of the other Telkom shareholders.