Telkom's Horrible Update record for the Note8

ECHLN

So I've owned the Note8 for a little over a year now and I'm in love with it. I've always been a Note guys since the Note 2. I've always had them on MTN so I've never had any serious complaints about updates since owning the Note 2, 4, 5, and S7 edge. It all changed when I got my Note8 on Telkom.

I got my Note8 a year after it launched because the Note9 was too pricey. So I got my Note8 and update it from android 7.1.1 to 8.0 out of the box. I expected the update. Slowly as the months went by I noticed the shocking low a month of security patch updates I've received and with little to no effort, if you owned a Note8 from Telkom, you have on received 9 updates (see attached image) in total. 9 for an almost 2 year old phone.

Android flagship phones are supposed to get monthly patches every month for the 2 years after it's announcement and then after that it can remain the same or you get a security patch update 4 times a year. For my S7 edge, even after the 2 years, I got a security patch update every month. So what's Telkom's excuse?

For reference, my Note8 is the XFA version. Cell C is XFE and Vodacom is XFV and the XFV variant has been getting regular updates as other Note8 outside of South Africa have been for almost 2 years. It even got Pie a week ago. Same as the XFE variant.

I also got this phone on a Telkom contract for free so I can't exactly leave even though I want to.

Attachments

ECHLN

I might be wrong, though doesn't that only happen when you change the ROM to a non Samsung ROM? Basically trip Knox counter?
No. When you change your region/CSC, you get the Samsung Pay app for the region or if the country you choose doesn't have it, then you can't use Samsung Pay at all.

With my S7 edge, I wanted 8.0 immediately so I flashed the Poland firmware and when Samsung Pay eventually came to SA, I was left out even though I flashed the XFV firmware again. So what happens is that XFV like XFA, XFE etc. are all under OXM which defaults to Germany I think. So if you want to change your CSC back, you HAVE TO root and doing that, you permanently lose Samsung Pay and Samsung Health.

marioat1

Expert Member
No. When you change your region/CSC, you get the Samsung Pay app for the region or if the country you choose doesn't have it, then you can't use Samsung Pay at all.

With my S7 edge, I wanted 8.0 immediately so I flashed the Poland firmware and when Samsung Pay eventually came to SA, I was left out even though I flashed the XFV firmware again. So what happens is that XFV like XFA, XFE etc. are all under OXM which defaults to Germany I think. So if you want to change your CSC back, you HAVE TO root and doing that, you permanently lose Samsung Pay and Samsung Health.
If you root without tripping Knox, health and pay can be activated by editing the build.prop file. Then remove root and all updates via Ota carry on.

Morte

My Note 8 on MTN is still on 1 December 2018. So no better there.

ECHLN

If you root without tripping Knox, health and pay can be activated by editing the build.prop file. Then remove root and all updates via Ota carry on.
I guess I could do that. Not aware of that method but I'll just be patient. Pie will come eventually.

Tcyte

true that, I always receive my updates last. on my mate 20pro

Vortex81@

ECHLN, I'm on cell c, galaxy note 8, still no pie update... not sure what you mean by cell c already having the pie update?

Vortex81@

Yes, just checked now again. Looks like only Vodacom has released the update so far.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Wait Samsung give two years of updates? That must've changed since the Note 3 and S4 days as they gave one maybe two updates and that's that.