Telkom's new naked ADSL products are not available to existing customers

Style

So I get a call back today.....after looking at the Openserve coverage AND the coverage map on Telkoms site, I see I am able to get up to 40mn VDSL, but when the consultant checks, it says the max I can get is 10mb! Oh well. I guess the original Telkom Uncapped deal will have to continue until they switch on the fibre that was layed and completed before lockdown began. I guess 300gigs at 25mb for 529 is still not a bad deal at the moment. Thanks for getting my hopes up Telkom. sigh.

Jake45

Expert Member
I'm not sure whether this is a Vox only restriction, but apparently you can only get naked ADSL if there is no Openserve Fibre available. From the FAQ ...
Will you be able to order Pure DSL if you have Openserve Fibre in your area?
If there is “live” Fibre or its ‘imminent’ then Pure connect DSL orders will not be allowed, please order your service on our Fibre to the Home page.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Telkom ia just being Telkom.
I'm happily using Telkom mobile for years and I haven't been let down.
Sure I don't live in a City, but I'm fine with what I've got.
Fibre installations are done by Vox and Openserve in the area it seems though.
This is a town tucked away in the mountains of Mpumalanga. So I've got major appreciation for these providers that at least try to improve networks, especially in a setting as I explained.
You can't take the Telkom touch out of Telkom. They turn to Telscum for me in a nano second. I never bother to contact them for anything. So I'm fine on the sanity front.
I used ADSL from early days and remembering how many issues I had for a long time put some dents into my trust of many ISPs.

Spontaneous spinach

Expert Member
Wait, wait, wait i don't understand the pricing here, so can someone explain?

Currently I'm paying R850 for 10mbps adsl which includes my land line.
So does Unlimited Home Premium 10mbps at R700 pm include landline cost too?

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
Wait, wait, wait i don't understand the pricing here, so can someone explain?

Currently I'm paying R850 for 10mbps adsl which includes my land line.
So does Unlimited Home Premium 10mbps at R700 pm include landline cost too?

Don't think so, no landline is my understanding.

JayMaster

What happens to the telephone exchanges in areas that Telkom no longer maintains their copper network?
Anybody knows?

JayMaster

They house their other network equipment, those that are not even good for that are sold.

why not put up a LTE tower there. Your forcing people to use fibre or wireless, than why not put up a tower on the land you already own (I assume)

RyanPCMR

Expert Member
This is unfortunate bcs I was really hoping to upgrade my existing 20Mbps VDSL line to 40Mbps using the savings from not using my voice line. I would still like to hold out hope for them offering something like that bcs they have had stellar performance for me over the years and I don't want to lose that stability. I have the capped 100GB Do Elite package atm and if possible would choose to keep my dsl line with Telkom for the reason of the current line stability.

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
Afrihost is totally launching Pure DSL tomorrow right, first of the month and all that.

Dill

Called telkom today, they said existing customers can change to the premium but don't qualify for the promo pricing...

"D"

Expert Member
Called telkom today, they said existing customers can change to the premium but don't qualify for the promo pricing...
What a pity! However, in some cases a changeover to Premium would still result in savings. (Between R50 and R150 per month!)

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
And it has been over a month and they still cannot upgrade me from 10mbps ADSL to 20mbps VDSL.