Telkomsa.net ISP POP3/SMTP address:port settings

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Hi There
Quick question:
Does anyone know what the POP3/SMTP settings are for email client setup, including PORT numbers; this is what I need.
pop3/smtp address:
port:
SSL: check or uncheck
Auth: What type?

|tera|

Master of Messengers
There's no real authentication on Telkom email accounts in comparison with gmail. Just use default settings.

It's pop3.telkomsa.net and smtp.saix.net

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
yes, thanks. I am struggling with port numbers (I guess I am asking what the deafults settings would be); note: I am in Ubuntu and using Opera and/or evolution.

Many thanks
S

Last edited:

ranger

Expert Member
There's no real authentication on Telkom email accounts in comparison with gmail. Just use default settings.

It's pop3.telkomsa.net and smtp.saix.net

Please use the details that are provided to you when you register. The details differ based on whether you are on dialup or on DSL.

DSL-only customers should use smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net for their SMTP server. It might currently be the same destination as smtp.saix.net, but using a different hostname (than smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net) means TelkomInternet can't easily ensure that you always get the right server (if and when they decide to change anything).

Dialup customers should use smtp.telkomsa.net.

Authentication is available on smtp.telkomsa.net, for users who use different access providers, you may want to enable authentication, and use this. This way, you can use the same settings whether you use dialup, DSL, or a 3rd-party access provider (e.g. 3G/HSDPA).

SSL is not currently available for POP3 or IMAP.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Please use the details that are provided to you when you register. The details differ based on whether you are on dialup or on DSL.

DSL-only customers should use smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net for their SMTP server. It might currently be the same destination as smtp.saix.net, but using a different hostname (than smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net) means TelkomInternet can't easily ensure that you always get the right server (if and when they decide to change anything).

Dialup customers should use smtp.telkomsa.net.

Authentication is available on smtp.telkomsa.net, for users who use different access providers, you may want to enable authentication, and use this. This way, you can use the same settings whether you use dialup, DSL, or a 3rd-party access provider (e.g. 3G/HSDPA).

SSL is not currently available for POP3 or IMAP.

Give me a better reason to use smtp.dsl.telkomds.net and I may consider it. I'd rather use smtp.saix.net which has far less problems and I can use it on any SAIX account I please.

:rolleyes:

bekdik

Honorary Master
smtp 25
pop3 110

Google smtp port will get the answer for you

ranger

Expert Member
Give me a better reason to use smtp.dsl.telkomds.net and I may consider it. I'd rather use smtp.saix.net

????

$ host smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net
smtp.dsl.telkomsa.net is an alias for smtp.saix.net.
smtp.saix.net has address 196.25.240.94

which has far less problems and I can use it on any SAIX account I please.

Since they have for the past 3 or so years pointed to the same IP address, I don't know what you're trying to imply here. At present, both would work identically. Don't know what you mean by "SAIX account" either ...

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Past three years worked the same?

That's a blatant lie on your part and I gather you work for Telkom.

At the end of 2006 it was still impossible to use smtp.saix.net as your outgoing server on normal Telkom accounts as it required authentication, I know this, because I tried it.

What's the problem in any case. If I choose to use smtp.saix.net (which I believe is faster than the other) what's the problem?

If there is a problem, Telkom shouldn't allow it, but they have, so there is no problem.

I like to make my own choices in life, so kindly accept that.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Patiently waiting until tomorrow when you post a reply: reminds me so much of bands who are one hit wonders :rolleyes:

ranger

Expert Member
If I choose to use smtp.saix.net (which I believe is faster than the other) what's the problem?

No problem, but if you recommend to others to use it, you are setting them up for failure (if when the relaying policy on smtp.saix.net changes it, and ISPs update their own records to point to a working SMTP relay).

|tera|

Master of Messengers
No problem, but if you recommend to others to use it, you are setting them up for failure (if when the relaying policy on smtp.saix.net changes it, and ISPs update their own records to point to a working SMTP relay).

Cool, I'd take that chance and let them know of it any case. Although I think it's a load of hogwash.

Rivin

Sorry to dredge this old thread up. Ranger - I'm having problems sending via smtp.telkomsa.net when connected via another ISP. Is the SMTP still set to allow authentication?

The error I get is "None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server." When trying to send.

Anybody have any tips on how to get this to work?

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Sorry to dredge this old thread up. Ranger - I'm having problems sending via smtp.telkomsa.net when connected via another ISP. Is the SMTP still set to allow authentication?

The error I get is "None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server." When trying to send.

You can only send through it if you are on Telkom/SAIX, it won't work if the ISP is on another network.

You need to use your ISP smtp servers. POP will work though.

Rivin

Looking at Ranger's post earlier in the thread:

This is exactly what I need to do, but doesn't seem to work. Obviously it can't allow unauthenticated users on other networks to send through it due to spam. I want to authenticate, but it seems that at some point the server stopped supporting it?

ranger

Expert Member

I have asked someone to have a look at this. I will try and provide feedback as I get it, but I am out of the office for two days.

(There have been some changes to SMTP policy in the ongoing spam battle, and I am not 100% up-to-date with the exact changes in policy, but it could be that some configuration changes did not limit themselves to changes in policy, or that changes in policy were not sufficiently thought through).

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I have asked someone to have a look at this. I will try and provide feedback as I get it, but I am out of the office for two days.

(There have been some changes to SMTP policy in the ongoing spam battle, and I am not 100% up-to-date with the exact changes in policy, but it could be that some configuration changes did not limit themselves to changes in policy, or that changes in policy were not sufficiently thought through).

Great to see you are still online Ranger. I can how a few years ago I was a real duche towards you in this thread and I sincerely apologize :)

Sorry man,