Tell me how long my smartphone will last before I buy it

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
I agree, more things need MTBF ratings to let you know when they fail on average.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
Well cellphones is difficult, can last till the point you drop it, that could be 5 minutes or even software support can influence "usefullness duration".
Of course, no barring on topic. Manufacturers should give estimate on best case or normal use scenario, ja.

mister

Executive Member
#like!

I'm so tired of purchasing crap that just breaks

hellfire

Honorary Master
Well cellphones is difficult, can last till the point you drop it, that could be 5 minutes or even software support can influence "usefullness duration".
Of course, no barring on topic. Manufacturers should give estimate on best case or normal use scenario, ja.

No estimate will include user-caused physical damage.
But Apple/HTC (and I suppose Samsung now) are forced to disclose just how long that non-interchangeable cell phone battery will last.

thatshowiroll

For most android phones software updates would be about 1 year. Blegh.

Rusty0

Expert Member
Depends on technology advances surely?
Most cellphone batteries last 2 years. The middles 20 months will be peak battery life then it starts to die.

F

Fudzy

Consumerism pushes obsolescence more than technology. Samsung just proved this by bringing out a new model which the PR is spinning over.

VegOtter

So basically what they are doing is forcing manufacturers to cover their products with a warranty for the time it should last.

Impulse_One

Consumerism pushes obsolescence more than technology. Samsung just proved this by bringing out a new model which the PR is spinning over.

...And phase out production of replaceable parts.

In general, look at latest Samsung S6 phone. No replaceable parts.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
Who cares? The iPhone 7 comes out later this year and the S7 next year. Gotta keep feeding that hype machine.

pmramos

Nokia 3310 - Year 2000 until infinite

This is the only one I know about lol =)