Tenant evicted from Cape Town flat for flushing toilet 22 times in one day

McSack

Executive Member
Absolutely illegal.

I am wondering how can the landlord have nothing better to do during a full day than counting how many times the tenants flush.
From the news article
“I put in my rental agreements that the water allowance is recommended from the City of Cape Town. It is written in the contract and also‚ when the tenant moves in‚ I advise them of this‚” said Lepnik.

He said that the tenant refused to take heed as she continued with her water-wasting ways.

“The lady was using excessive amounts of water. She would use up to 400 litres of water a day.

Bizkit87

Executive Member
The ones who built the dams too big? :whistling:

not sure what you trying to say here? but dams not the only water solution.

We've had how many years to implement desalination? We also need to re-evaluate our water infrastructure

f2wohf

Honorary Master
You must've missed news of the water shortages in CT. Average household usage is around 250l a day I think. This tenant was using 400
At 10l a visit the feckless tenant was flushing almost an entire family's daily usage down the toilet on her own

It's not up to the landlord to deal with it.

He should reported the person to COCT instead of expelling her.

I'm pretty sure the tenant would win at the Rental Housing Tribunal.

konfab

Honorary Master

We've had how many years to implement desalination? We also need to re-evaluate our water infrastructure

There is desalination as well as water treatment. But those two things are pointless unless people are careful with water.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
The ones who built the dams too big? :whistling:

This. The writing has been on the wall simce 2005. More people moved to the Cape monthly and the government knew about it. Why did they not listen to the reports then? Its not like households just started using more water daily, the population grew but the water supply did not.

Blu82

Expert Member
Desalination is also power intensive which was in short supply a while back.

Nick333

Honorary Master
Absolutely illegal.

I am wondering how can the landlord have nothing better to do during a full day than counting how many times the tenants flush.

Obviously he does which is why he has a meter on the toilet.

Nick333

Honorary Master
What else though? Cameras to make sure his property isn't being damaged?

My point was that he wasn't actually spending that much time monitoring the water usage let alone literally spending his days counting toilet flushes. Do you really think monitoring water usage is in the same league as putting up cameras though?

supersunbird

Honorary Master

If is was in the contract... why do you think the Rental Housing Tribunal will find in her favour? Do you think they have similar previous instance/case to go on?

Vrotappel

Bulls fan

If the water account was in his name the COCT will hold him responsible.

Nick333

Honorary Master
If is was in the contract... why do you think the Rental Housing Tribunal will find in her favour? Do you think they have similar previous instance/case to go on?

Well, all we know is that she was asked to leave and the impression that she did. Under those circumstances she would have no legal recourse. In fact the only way she would have grounds for a complaint is if she was physically removed and then only if the removal wasn't done by a sheriff of the court. Since the story isn't about an illegal conviction I think it's safe to assume that she has no case to take before the tribunal.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
If the water account was in his name the COCT will hold him responsible.

And he should pass down this responsibility to his tenant by asking him to pay the fine he had to pay.

If he didn't respect the lease in any way, and terminated it without the consent of the tenant for the motive of using too much water, he will be held responsible.

If the tenant and the landlord both agreed to terminate the lease, then there would be no issues.

Adrianax

Banned
Can this be legal? This is one of those horrible landlords floating out there that needs to be flushed out.
Who the hell monitors tenant's toilette habits?

Would not dare calling legal or illegal here. The big question is, will she win her case in court?

There are strict water restrictions in place, owner being threatened with fines, did she minimize his potential losses? Those are the small technical things a civil court will look at, specifically the minimization of losses. If she did nothing to minimize losses to the other party, in a civil matter, things will backfire.

Will be interesting to see the outcome.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Better solution from the landlord would have been a water saving cistern and even better still the one with two flushers for different purposes.

As someone with a bog-related disease I can tell you the bucket system isn't always going to do the job and you need the vacuum action of the real flush in many cases.

Also was it 22 times each and every day? Or 22 times at a peak because although quite high that's not so insane really if she has a real problem.

Last edited:

EMAM

Honorary Master
This guy thinks of himself as a bigwig water saver and is all over the water shedding FB page. He had his rant there the other day

87cdb174e8f13c1b47c6ea775648e7d6.jpg