Tenant evicted from Cape Town flat for flushing toilet 22 times in one day

MightyQuin

Not amused...
If she left of her own accord that's an implicit agreement, so unless he physically evicted her he's covered. The article cites him as saying he asked her to leave. It's possible that the article neglects to mention that he through her out, but whats the point in speculating?

Jissus, imagine if the toilet was at the top of a steep flight of stairs.......

MightyQuin

Not amused...
This guy thinks of himself as a bigwig water saver and is all over the water shedding FB page. He had his rant there the other day

87cdb174e8f13c1b47c6ea775648e7d6.jpg

Good. We need more people like him. What's wrong with being a "bigwig water saver" in CT in all the water trouble we're in?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
First thing I did when I moved into my current house around 12 years ago is put a couple of bricks and rocks into the cistern. I also bent the float's copper arm thing so the float is way down in the water. One of those very old toilets that use around 20l a flush, it now uses around 10 for a full flush.

Yeah in my case it’s already a water saving unit so no chance a brick fits.

Think it takes about 7l or some such.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Yeah in my case it’s already a water saving unit so no chance a brick fits.

Think it takes about 7l or some such.

A lot of the times this is counter productive. With too little water a 1 flush becomes a 3 flush....

My wife used to flush a toilet...just because it was there. I drove me batschit. With Level 4 I put my foot down. If it's yellow, let it mellow and if it's brown flush it down.

We are saving a schitload of water...pun intended.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
A lot of the times this is counter productive. With too little water a 1 flush becomes a 3 flush....

My wife used to flush a toilet...just because it was there. I drove me batschit. With Level 4 I put my foot down. If it's yellow, let it mellow and if it's brown flush it down.

We are saving a schitload of water...pun intended.

Nah works hundred percent otherwise I wouldn’t do it.

Never needed to flush the same thing twice.

But I might be way off on the capacity.

We’ve also gone pretty much if it’s yellow let it mellow. Except if I know it’s going to stand overnight then I’ll flush it on the last go.

My usage has been very erratic/strange though. It’s either 6kl or 10kl. Never in between and always exact.

Last edited:

Mila

Honorary Master
Must be drinking the same amount to pee that many times.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
In the interest of saving water.
Good riddance to this irresponsible slag.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
Questions:

1. Is it legal to monitor like this?

2. What is the landlord's water consumption?

3. Why is the toilet not replaced with a low flush tank?

4. Have all the taps in the house been replaced with low flow heads?

5. Has the landlord checked nothing is leaking? A leak in the toilet can go unnoticed.

I'd strongly suggest this is a case of unfair discrimination and should not just go by without action.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
And he should pass down this responsibility to his tenant by asking him to pay the fine he had to pay.

If he didn't respect the lease in any way, and terminated it without the consent of the tenant for the motive of using too much water, he will be held responsible.

If the tenant and the landlord both agreed to terminate the lease, then there would be no issues.

All I was saying is that him talking to the COCT about her water usage would be fruitless if the account was in his name. The account holder is responsible not the one that opens the tap. I had not expressed any opinion over the termination of the lease or the alleged eviction.