Tencent posts biggest profit shortfall in 10 years

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator

Tencent Holdings Ltd. posted a slump in fourth-quarter earnings on increased spending as its prized games business showed signs of recovery after a brutal 2018.

Net income fell 32 percent to 14.2 billion yuan ($2.1 billion), missing the 17.55 billion-yuan average of estimates, on investments in content, cloud computing and financial technology.

[Bloomberg]

Nick333

Honorary Master
For now, gaming remains its biggest division. While approvals in China have resumed, Tencent has yet to get a green light to monetize Fortnite or the mobile version of PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, the most popular smartphone game on the planet.
Huh? How have they not monetised Pubg mobile. What's all that shyt they're trying to sell me when I log in then? Do you mean they haven't realised a profit yet?

ekske1

Executive Member

Tencent Holdings Ltd. posted a slump in fourth-quarter earnings on increased spending as its prized games business showed signs of recovery after a brutal 2018.

Net income fell 32 percent to 14.2 billion yuan ($2.1 billion), missing the 17.55 billion-yuan average of estimates, on investments in content, cloud computing and financial technology.

[Bloomberg]
But Epic Games Store saves?

John Tempus

Expert Member
Huh? How have they not monetised Pubg mobile. What's all that shyt they're trying to sell me when I log in then? Do you mean they haven't realised a profit yet?
Chinese laws about micro transactions. Of course many chinese play the international version right now but afaik they are not actually allowed to put money into the game so they are just trading their skins they get from drops or using other methods of which none benefit Tencent directly financially.