Tensions rise in Sea Point as powerful men accused of promoting anti-homeless, anti-poor and sexist sentiments

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Rob Hersov can afford better lawyers than Iqbal Surve. Pure libel and scurrilous journalism...

P.S. What do the forum rules suggest when the OP link is no longer credible?

Itchy Scurvy has proven his empire can't survive without regular injections of taxpayer money. Now that has dried up, he can't afford good lawyers.

When is the DA going to issue a statement on the ramblings of their councillor Nicola Jowell? Or are they going to protect her like they did Phumzile van Damme?

vigras rojara

Expert Member
Itchy Scurvy has proven his empire can't survive without regular injections of taxpayer money. Now that has dried up, he can't afford good lawyers.

When is the DA going to issue a statement on the ramblings of their councillor Nicola Jowell? Or are they going to protect her like they did Phumzile van Damme?
They won't, they're too busy ranting about gun ownership and farm murders or anything else they feel might win a vote back for them.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
They won't, they're too busy ranting about gun ownership and farm murders or anything else they feel might win a vote back for them.

I've got news for them then. The people that left them in the last election are the people that never knock on a door that was slammed in their faces.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Bought for Itchy Scurvy by the ANC using taxpayer funds. At least the Nat Prime Minister resigned and the Minister of Information fled the country to avoid being imprisoned for doing the same thing.
Later made president of the country :)

IOL bias has become so apparent their political section is exhausting to read. It's absolute rubbish most of the time. It reminds us of the Bell Pottinger media projects.

Milano

Honorary Master
IOL bias has become so apparent their political section is exhausting to read. It's absolute rubbish most of the time. It reminds us of the Bell Pottinger media projects.
When we look at how Bell Pottinger was decisively dealt with it is in stark contrast to how IOL and Surve are protected within SA at the highest levels in spite of years having passed since being exposed for what they are. It is a clear indicator that the SA state remains mostly captured to this very day.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Both issues are extremely important issues. Gun ownership is vital to out continued existence.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Both issues are extremely important issues. Gun ownership is vital to out continued existence.

Yes the issues are extremely important. But the DA ignored them as issues for the last elections and lost all the voters that thought the issues are important to a party that didn't ignore the issues. Those voters are not coming back. The DA can stop trying to woo them.

Kawak

Wrong. Read and you will see they want the homeless in shelters where they get a free bed for the night and a free meal paid by the city and there are plenty shelters in Cape Town. The homeless refuse to go because to enter you need to be sober and drug free. So they rely on hand outs from do-gooders who don't want to recognise they are attracting these people to their area which results in urban decay, petty crime, theft and a decrease in property values.

The ANC, out of revenge and supported by IOL wants to house the homeless in housing projects right next door to ratepayers who pay a lot of money. They will never house the homeless next to the parliamentary village at Acacia Park who pay no rates at all and which has plenty of land to house them.

The actual political game is being played by the ANC and supported by their sycophant Itchy Scurvy of IOL.
Trying to read again, did a quick browse over earlier. Seems like article no longer exists, 404 error, anyways. CoCT is a work and holiday city for me, don't pretend to understand the intricacies, but if shelters are like anything in gauteng, there is not enough of them, most are run private and has all kinds of strange rules, there was even one on the news a while back for forcing religion on the homeless and forcing them into taking part in rituals and stuff.

We even have shelters that require the homeless to pay, both for the bed as well as food, limits on husband and wife pairs as well as no children policies, as much as I understand the need to keep the shelters from certain elements in society, but there needs to be a line somewhere. Drugs, certainly no but the rest to me sounds rather ridiculous.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Perhaps. But they would come out in favour of marshmallow worship if they thought it would get them a vote or two.

They're that fickle and transparent.
Maybe in your opinion. At least they are not extreme criminals like the ANC and EFF.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Trying to read again, did a quick browse over earlier. Seems like article no longer exists, 404 error, anyways. CoCT is a work and holiday city for me, don't pretend to understand the intricacies, but if shelters are like anything in gauteng, there is not enough of them, most are run private and has all kinds of strange rules, there was even one on the news a while back for forcing religion on the homeless and forcing them into taking part in rituals and stuff.

We even have shelters that require the homeless to pay, both for the bed as well as food, limits on husband and wife pairs as well as no children policies, as much as I understand the need to keep the shelters from certain elements in society, but there needs to be a line somewhere. Drugs, certainly no but the rest to me sounds rather ridiculous.

The original article is in the first post of this thread.

The shelters in the CoCT are city owned and religion is not enforced. Meals and the bed are free paid by ratepayers. Vagrants in Cape Town have been known as Bergies for decades and probably even centuries. I have yet to see a Bergie family. I have only seen loners.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Yes the issues are extremely important. But the DA ignored them as issues for the last elections and lost all the voters that thought the issues are important to a party that didn't ignore the issues. Those voters are not coming back. The DA can stop trying to woo them.
I will be voting DA as it currently stands. One vote back.

Kawak

The original article is in the first post of this thread.

The shelters in the CoCT are city owned and religion is not enforced. Meals and the bed are free paid by ratepayers. Vagrants in Cape Town have been known as Bergies for decades and probably even centuries. I have yet to see a Bergie family. I have only seen loners.
Tried that link, 404, weekend argus article apparently, CoCT may be different? our local council reached a moratorium with the homeless in town that they are allowed to setup in the streets in the downtown section after 7pm but must clean up before 6am, one will see all their wares driving past bridges, there simply isn't enough shelters or space for that matter as more and more are now also setting up in parks and I even saw some parked outside the mall near me.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Tried that link, 404, weekend argus article apparently, CoCT may be different? our local council reached a moratorium with the homeless in town that they are allowed to setup in the streets in the downtown section after 7pm but must clean up before 6am, one will see all their wares driving past bridges, there simply isn't enough shelters or space for that matter as more and more are now also setting up in parks and I even saw some parked outside the mall near me.

Report in post #1 of this thread. Copied and pasted for you:

Tensions are approaching boiling point in one of Cape Town’s wealthiest suburbs as a group of powerful and wealthy men are accused of promoting anti-homeless, anti-poor and sexist attitudes.

These men include billionaire businessman Rob Hersov, Paul Jacobson and lawyer Gary Trappler.
They are accused of abusing courts to intimidate and victimise anyone who tries to stand in their path. Their alleged victims are mostly women who are now fearing for their lives.
The Weekend Argus has learnt that there was an alleged “hit list” circulating, of the people who are deemed to be anti this group’s agenda and are to be “destroyed”.

“Whilst I do not believe that this to be a physical threat against them it is certainly about ruining their reputation, business, families etc,” said a resident in Sea Point.

Thandi Mgwaba, a black woman who lived in the area, had to leave after her car tyres were allegedly slashed by Trappler. Although she lost the case, she still believes justice was not served.
“There was CCTV footage that shows everything that happened. Following the incident, lily flowers were left on my doorstep and I became scared so I left,” she said.

A woman who claims to had also been targeted said this group of men want to make the area exclusive to a single ethnic group.
“If you argue against their stance on social media they threaten to visit you, they weaponise the legal system and use it to intimidate people. Anyone who looks for ways to assist homeless people feels their wrath,” she said.

Jacobson is allegedly being supported by Hersov in his bid to run for ward councillor under the banner of the Freedom Front Plus.
“I have spoken to different political parties and so far the Freedom Front Plus seems to be on the same page as me. I am not anti-poor, I want to assist them but homeless people cannot be allowed to vote in local government otherwise they will be shipped from somewhere to come and cove.

“They do not have a permanent residential address, they can vote on national and provincial elections not local,” said Jacobson.
He said there were people who do not like him, including local councillor Nicola Jowell.

He also admitted to being part of the group and that it includes influential and business people like magistrates, senior counsels, among others.

Hersov did not give much comment when asked about the allegations.
“Go to Havens and ask who gives the money for the shelter. You have a non-story there,” he said.

Trappler said homeless people in the Atlantic Seaboard should not be fed.
“Residents and ratepayers must not give irresponsibly to vagrants. It makes life comfortable for them and if they are comfortable they will not go to shelters. Vagrants in the Atlantic Seaboard are living good. I am not anti-poor, I am anti-government,” he said.

Jowell said she was aware of a number of individuals in the community who have issued threats against other residents and organisations.

“And a number of people have been taken to court for speaking out against these individuals. Although I have not been immune from these comments nor threats, I will not stop the work that I am doing in the ward on behalf of all the residents and up till now have chosen not to be drawn into legal battles despite the defamatory and untrue statements that have been said about me.

“Whilst residents are entitled to their opinions it cannot be that we can tolerate an environment where others are bullied and threatened for expressing theirs,” she said.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
CoCT may be different?

CoCT has had their Bergie problem for decades and due to being proactive, has it under control. Only the ANC are are trying to turn CT into JHB by trying to take away the decades of experience and control the CoCT has.